Mountain Man Dan

Teflon wires in a fully sealed derailleur application?

I was reading around on teflon cables vs SS.

My Jagwire Ripcord Der kit just arrived, it comes with teflon coated cables. My new x9 shifters that I ordered come with their SS cables.

I've read that the teflon flakes off, etc. But the Ripcord kit is fully sealed, there's no wire showing, and there's special ferrules and whatnot.

So the teflon won't flake off and gum everything up?

Ironically, Jagwire says " Fully Lubricated L3 liner ". Lube + teflon = gumming up???

Just trying to get the smoothest operation for the next year or so.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm running my first set of coated cables and can't really tell much difference over ss. They came in a kit too.

Your post has made me second guess my decision to install the coated instead of some spare ss I had. I usually change the cables out at least twice before getting new housing. If the teflon peels inside, it may screw up the housing for future cables. Guess I'll find out in a few months.

squish is good
    I think there are worse things than getting Teflon all over the inside of your cable housings...

That said I've never noticed a huge difference with Teflon cables over properly lubed steel cables. I quit shelling out the extra $$$ and just give my cheap cables a drop of chain lube every couple of rides.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've run Jagwire Ripcord for quite a while - I have not had an issue with flaking and gumming up the sealed cables, however they do need replacing at roughly the same intervals as when using high end stainless steel cables, which is roughly once a year. But I have never had an issue with the ripcord kits getting other crud into them. so I would say they are pretty good.
    My big beef is that the ripcord kits do not come with enough housing to do a full bike both front and rear for the fully housed cable types like my Epic. So if I do use them it is generally only on the rear

Mountain Man Dan
    Question.

What happens to the cable to make you want to change it?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83 View Post
    I think there are worse things than getting Teflon all over the inside of your cable housings...

That said I've never noticed a huge difference with Teflon cables over properly lubed steel cables. I quit shelling out the extra $$$ and just give my cheap cables a drop of chain lube every couple of rides.
    Is the coating so thin that it won't affect the housing it were to peel? or it won't be like wrecking and breaking a collar bone, even if it does?

I plan to use the housings for a couple years and don't mind changing out a $1.80 cable every six months.