mtbr member

Teflon inner keeps going through the ferrule

Does anyone else have a problem with the teflon inner going through the ferrule on your rear derailleur cable?

The rearmost derailleur cable doesn't seem to want to last very long before it pukes its innards out through the ferrule. For what it's worth, the cable it going into a Saint rear derailleur.

Are there any cables out there that are less prone to this? So far, I've used Jagwire and some bulk housing off a big roll.

Currently un-unemployed

What size housing?

Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Does anyone else have a problem with the teflon inner going through the ferrule on your rear derailleur cable?

The rearmost derailleur cable doesn't seem to want to last very long before it pukes its innards out through the ferrule. For what it's worth, the cable it going into a Saint rear derailleur.

Are there any cables out there that are less prone to this? So far, I've used Jagwire and some bulk housing off a big roll.
    4 or 5mm? You can easily check this by comparing it to your brake housing (assuming cable-actuated brakes). If you're using 5mm housing with metal ferrules (housing caps), this is sometimes more likely to happen, since most metal ferrules have a wider diameter hole for brake cables. Is it just the liner that's pulling through or is the housing wire poking out and punching a hole in the ferrule (which would be a plastic ferrule...and 4mm housing)? If that's the case, then you can get plastic ferrules that have a brass plate on the inside of the end that the housing contacts. This prevents the housing from pulling through. Off the top of my head, I don't know who specifically makes them (I think Jagwire and Shimano). A good shop would likely have them, although some might just have the cheapo QBP bulk ones that are all plastic.

Sounds like you've been doing some rough shifting .

-R

mtbr member
    It's just the liner that is pulling through and the cable is 5mm. That makes sense. I'll give the 4mm's a try. Thanks for the help!