mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Taking apart freewheel hub advice

Alright, I am building a custom bike from scratch with a team at my university and I need the just the freewheel body where the cassette slides on to, to mount onto the drive shaft of our bike. Can that be removed and does it require any special tools?

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    Alright, I am building a custom bike from scratch with a team at my university and I need the just the freewheel body where the cassette slides on to, to mount onto the drive shaft of our bike. Can that be removed and does it require any special tools?
    That's a freehub, not freewheel.

They can be removed, how depends on the hub. If you got a hub you are parting out, name it and you might get a little more info on how to remove it. The one I've removed had a 10mm socket head (allen wrench) bolt that you accessed from the non-drive side of the hub through the hub shell. You have to remove the axle and bearings first. The allen wrench had to be held in a bench vise and the wheel was used to "unscrew" it. It took a lot of torque to break the bolt loose, hence the wrench in the bench vise.

You could also just buy one at a local bike store. Last one I bought was less than $20. And since there are more than one "style" of attachment you can have a looksee beforehand to see if it'll work for ya.

I'm pretty sure it was a normal righthand thread bolt.

Edit: Here's a bit more information, http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=45
    like I said, the one I worked on was accessed through the non-drive (left) side, this web page shows a right side.

Monte

Chrome Toaster
    They can be removed. It depends on the wheel how that goes. Some of them have the internals as part of the hub shells so technically you cant seperate them. Shimano uses a completely independent freehub which bolts onto the hub. You need a 10mm hex key and a pretty high leverage to remove the bolt that holds it. You can also order them independantly through a bike shop for as little as about $20.