mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sworks crank trouble...need help

So I noticed my bearings where less then smooth and decided to pull the crank. My bike is a 2011 epic 29er. I positioned the t45 driver and applied pressure nothing, upped my leverage until nervous. Surprised I opted to soak with a penetrating oil for half the day came back no improvement. Soaked some more and then tried loosening again. Thought I felt it budge so applied a bit more pressure and snap. Now I have a busted off T45 end stuck in the spindle bolt and no closer to getting the crank out.

So what is my next step? Drill it out, cut off the spindle and trash the crank, I am at a loss.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Tried taking it to your Specialized LBS? Might be something they are more familiar with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wow, that sucks. If I understand how those cranks work, the bolt you are referring to is inside the crank spindle. Going to be a ***** to work on. The broken bit will be too hard to drill.
    I think you will have to try working the bit out with a punch. If that doesn't work, you might be able to drill into the edges of the bolt, around the bit enough to loosen the bit. Then you would need to drill the bolt and use an easyout to remove the bolt.

If you get the bit out without destroying the bolt, try using a impact driver, one of the manual ones where you hit it with a hammer. They work very well in removing tight bolts without breaking anything.

Plays with tools
    Have fun with that. I've never come across this, however I'm fairly sure I could get it apart and save the crank by drilling out the bolt. You need to get the head off the bolt and then the cranks should come apart. Hopefully there will be the stub of the bolt sticking out of the non drive arm and you can twist it out with a pair of pliers.

Are you sure t was a T45? I thought they were either T40 or 6mm, but I don't do a lot of work on specialized cranks so I may be mistaken.