Thread: Sworks crank ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Sworks crank ?

Hello, the woman I am now dating has the 14 sworks wc stump ht and i need to get her a smaller chainring. Reading the specs it says xx1 but my xx1 doesnt look like it would work. Is it a special xx1? It came with a 32 and a 34 she is coming off hip surgery need a 28 or so. What one do i order. Not brand but like bcd/spec etc. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Any 104 BCD 11 spd ring should work for you. I have the 2015 version of the S Works crank and have run a variety of different branded rings.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Fat-tired Roadie
    How about a pic?

You're not getting 28t in 104 BCD but SRAM's spiderless cranks can go lower if she needs to. I have a 28 myself on one of my cranks, though not SRAM.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    This is it:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...nk-arms/116720

He's right that you won't find a 28t that will work. Probably 30 is the lowest you can find.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Fat-tired Roadie
    There we go. The crank itself isn't SRAM at all.

Looks like you need a PF30 crank. Any PF30 crank should be compatible with her frame. I'm not familiar enough with that standard to know if they all have the same bottom bracket or not. There's a lot of nice PF30 spiderless cranks out there, so whatever you have a line on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Its not 104bcd at all. My 94bcd xsync looks like it would fit the spider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

It looks like a 94 would work ^^^ but not a 104bcd below

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    So that link says 104bcd but i think that is a different crank. This is the sworks world cup. That looks like the xtr sworks or something.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't think it being 94 BCD helps you all that much.

http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/p...am-x1-crankset

That some companies figured out how to stuff 30 teeth around a 104 BCD pattern owes a lot to how common those cranks are. Not as much motivation to do something unusual to get 28 teeth onto 94 BCD.

mtbr member
    My S Works WC Epic has the crank I linked with a 104BCD but based on your pics, maybe it's different for the S Works WC Stumpy? Here's a link to the bike I believe she has:https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...er-29-wc/49795

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33 View Post
    My S Works WC Epic has the crank I linked with a 104BCD but based on your pics, maybe it's different for the S Works WC Stumpy? Here's a link to the bike I believe she has:https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...er-29-wc/49795
    Yes that is her bike.

I read the stats and it says like special sworks crank so when i go to order rings it doesnt have sworks as a choice. Like cinch,gxp,shimano etc. Unless im reading it wrong. Im hoping to get the kind where it uses the 3 bolts by the spindle not the bcd kind but if thats all i can get okay.

Fat-tired Roadie
    S-Works is a brand label. "Cinch" actually refers to an interfaces standard, and chain rings are offered by multiple suppliers. Same with "104 BCD."

It seems like you already know that this is a 4-bolt crank. You can't use any other kind of chain ring with it.

Is a new crank too expensive? How long--term is the need for lower gearing? You could also use a wider range cassette, depending on what's on there now.

You posted those pictures with the different chain rings. Because of the camera angle, I'm not going to pretend I know which ring fit better. But if you're confident you're right, that tells you all you need to know about what chain ring fits that crank. So get one of that chain ring with 30 narrow/wide teeth and see if that lowers the gearing enough. Or get a whole new crank, or a cassette with a larger granny cog.