Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

switching to SRAM

I am considering the switch and I need some input from you guys. I rode an Ellsworth with the X.0 rear derailer and shifter. I am riding an NRS composite with xtr rear and xtr shifters with race face cranks and rings and xt cogs. I liked the snappy precise feel of the shifts but the price is pretty steep for me. I ride lots of tight singletrack with lots of shifting and the constant adjustments with xtr are driving me crazy. Missing a shift where I ride can often be the difference between making a section or walking it. I start a ride with it shifting ok and after 10 miles it is ghost shifting and skipping. It worked well in the past but I think it is just getting old.
    I am considering going with the X.0 rear and using an x.9 shifter because i like the fact that the X.0 is forged instead of cast. I prefer the aluminum cage over the carbon just for durability. Given my current setup are there any forseeable issues? How happy are you guys with SRAM and have any NRS owners run it with sucess? Any input is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I run SRAM X7 on one bike and XT on another. SRAM is great with no complaints. XT is obviously a better build quality than X7, but X7 shifts just as well. IMO X7 seems more reliable in the mud and rough stuff. This may be do to its stiffer spring and 1:1 ratio, but I'm not sure on that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Last year I bought a new NRS C1. Immediately I dumped the shimano drive train and replaced everything with SRAM. I am running my X.0 rear with grip shifts and have not had any problems at all. I would pony up the extra cash and go for X.0 shifters, they are spendy but will last forever!
    SRAM shifts are crisp and fast. I didn't adjust anything all season long, and that included a LOT of riding. I have heard that XTR is high maintanence, if you stick with Shimano go with XT. They are just as good, a lot cheaper, and work better.
    www.mudrider.blogspot.com