mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Switching out Shimano Alivio for XTR Rear Derailleur

So my buddy was getting rid of all of his extra mountain bike equipment and gave me a XTR Rear Derailleur. I installed it just fine but when it is on the lowest gears, the chain is actually rubbing on the detrailleur because it seems like there is not enough tension in the chain. If I compare the derailleurs, the Alivio is actually longer than the xtr. anyone ever have to shorten up their change when switching detrailleurs?

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    someboday GAVE you a XTR der.?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!
    nice snag
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    haha yes, long story, basically an accident won't allow him to bike anymore, well at least for a while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Did you adjust the limit screws? Otherwise the derailleur will almost definately rub the chain in some gears/not shift properly. Otherwise, could be that the XTR is just a shorter cage lenght model than your alivio. In that case, removing a link from your chain might be the way to go

~Disc~Golf~
    It probably isn't the limit screws form what it sounds like your describing. My guess it's either the "b"-screw -that's the screw that presses on the rear of the derailleur hanger...try screwing that it a bit...
    Or possibly your cage is too short. How do the cage lengths compare? Are you in little-little when this happens? If so, you shouldn't be in that combo anyways. Simar gearing can be found using a bigger chainring AND cog - this will eliminate 'cross-chaining' too.

If those two solutions don't solve it, you can double check your chain length (Big cog to big ring [don't route through derailleur] and add two links.)
    If you shorten your chain too much, you can damage your derailleur by accidentally in to another bad combo - big-big. It's better to have a slightly too long of a chain than a slightly too short chain.
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Although the length of the cages may be the same between the Alivio you took off and the XTR you installed, the pulley size may not be. Many lower end shimano derailleurs use 13t pulleys, where xtr uses 11t I believe. By installing the new derailleur without reducing the length of the chain, it will allow the derailleur to rub on the chain in the small small combo. Reducing chain length by one link should work.

Adam

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Shortening the chain may not be necessary. The easiest way to size a chain bypasses the RD anyway....

Chain Length
    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26

sani

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by sanigene
    Shortening the chain may not be necessary. The easiest way to size a chain bypasses the RD anyway....
    my point exactly
    Do not shorten a chain if is sized correctly
    if it rubs in small-small - don't shift to that combo - you shouldn't anyways
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Wow, going from Alivio to XTR is the same as going from Milwaukee's Best to Heinekins.

Meh.
    XTR > Heinekin.

It won't work all that well if the rest of his system is still low end stuff though.

I would check the b-screw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks guys, i actually ended up buying a new bike last night out of the blue. Upgraded to the Trek 6000 series.