mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Switching Casette Shifter from Right to Left Side due to Arthritis in Right Hand

I'm running grip type shifters and have a lot of pain in my right hand and wrist after a ride. I've been diagnosed with Psoritic Arthritis and definately have it throughout my right hand. I don't have any signs in my left hand. I was hoping to turn my shifters around so that the Casette was on the left side since I'm using that shifter all the time (I rarely get out of the 32 tooth chain ring). I also thought about weather or not it would be feasable to run a thumb shifter on the same side for the chain rings... Has anybody flipped their shifters?

Thanks - Mike

mtbr member
    Yes, you could flip the shifter. It'll turn the opposite way you're used to, but if you can deal with that, it'll be fine.

If you want some info on setting up a bike to have all the controls on one side, send man w/ one hand a PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Can be done...

cable routing might be problematic, but shouldn't be too difficult to arange in a workable manner, and it might look a little goofy with top routed cables, but hey, if it works who cares about goofy! Swaping the rear over to the left shouldn't be a problem though

Switching the front controls to a thumby on the left with the rear might pose bigger problems though. Finding a thumb shifter that sets the lever high enough to clear the twist shifter, keeps the lever close enough so that your thumb can reach it without moving your hands around, and allows you to keep your brake lever in a reachable position, all at the same time will be tough. Most thumb shifters just don't perch the lever high enough to clear the body of the twist shifter. Probably your best set up would be to mount the shifter inboard of the brake lever perch. You'd have to move your hand to reach the thumb lever to make a shift. But if you don't shift that often it may not be a problem. Then again it may not be worth the hassle. If you don't shift the front that often, just moving it over to the right side may be the better option.

Anyway, diffinately doable. You'd just have to find the components, if any, and figure out which set up would work better for you.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well I switched them around - No problems... I'm still going to try to get a thumb shifter for the left side. My right hand is killing me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have similar problem in both hands but prob not as severe. With me thumbs are the biggest prob. I've got LX dual control brake shifters and have removed the thumb shifts. Just stretch out your fingers to change down or press the brake lever down for upshifts. I know these aren't popular with racers but for me they are great. I've got 'em teamed with Ergon grips for max comfort.

Bike Shop Girl
    Apr 2004
    Maybe a grift shift and a trigger shift? Or a thumb shifter.
    Bike Shop Girl Empowering women in cycling

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I emailed "man with one hand" and he sent me pics of his set-up. He has an XT thumb shifter and SRAM grip shifter on the same side... He had to modify the bottom thumb lever (cut the bottom off) to get it to go over the grip shifter, but other than that, it looks pretty trick.

I just dropped a pile on a set of hope brakes (M4 for the front, Mono Mini for the rear), so I don't really want to go with the brake shifter. I think I'll search out Ebay and find a good used thumb shifter and go from there.

Mike

mtbr member
    If you're running Sram, the newer X.9 and X.0 triggers have a removable clamp that could potentially help you get around the issue man w/ one hand ran into.