mtbr member
    Apr 2010

switching from 3x8 to 1x8

i think my drive train needs to be replaced, its 6 years old and ive been trying to make derailleur adjustments but it still skips way too often. its the stock components on my rockhopper mtn bike and the gears on the crank set are noticeably worn down.

if i replace parts i think id want to replace my current crankset:
    "22t/32t heat treated Cro-Mo/44t 7075 aluminum"

with a single, somewhere in the middle... like 38t

i just have no idea what is appropriate for sizing, or pricing. Any suggestions for something reasonable for under 100$?

i went on jensonusa but they didnt have much for singlespeed other than 150$ 32t.
    It doesnt need to take any serious abuse, just hold up a while

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/200...-Chainring.htm

I'm in the process of upgrading my 3x8 to 2x9 A little annoying trying to find 8 speed stuff so I decided to upgrade to 9.

Heres the thread. I get my new cassette and crankset today. 3x8 to 2x9 About to PULL the TRIGGER on my UPGRADE
    Marin 29er
    "Try not to ride too long you might end up burning muscle!"
    http://www.beeftrain.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ive found my replacement cassette for about 20$ so i think im going to keep mine 8 speed just so i dont have to get a new shifter
    (unless anyone can convince me that the 34t cog would change my life)

thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bcause im new to this im still fuzzy on the crankset... is the chain ring/crank arm sizes standard for attaching a new chain ring? or do i need to size accordingly if i want to reuse my crank arms?

(specialized website lists my 06 rockhopper crankset as "Truvative ISO-Flow w/ alloy outer")

thanks for the help

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jbourne84 View Post
    bcause im new to this im still fuzzy on the crankset... is the chain ring/crank arm sizes standard for attaching a new chain ring? or do i need to size accordingly if i want to reuse my crank arms?

(specialized website lists my 06 rockhopper crankset as "Truvative ISO-Flow w/ alloy outer")

thanks for the help
    If your chainrings are a 4 bolt pattern (which I think they are) then you need to look for 64mm BCD for the granny, and 104mm bcd for the middle and big ring.

If you go with just one ring up front, buy one that is not ramped or pinned, and run it in the middle position. I have had good luck with the salsa rings.

There are a lot of threads here that deal with converting to a single ring up front. If you are losing the front derailleur, you need some way to keep the chain from falling off.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for the info, is it safe to assume that if the product description doesn't include anything about being 'ramped or pinned' then it must not be?

another question i have is how chain rings can be "for 8 or 9 speed drive trains" like the blackspire super pro, or the race face 'single' that is "9 or 10 speed compatible" ? they are both 104mm 34t rings

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    thanks for the info, is it safe to assume that if the product description doesn't include anything about being 'ramped or pinned' then it must not be?

another question i have is how chain rings can be "for 8 or 9 speed drive trains" like the blackspire super pro, or the race face 'single' that is "9 or 10 speed compatible" ? they are both 104mm 34t rings
    I have to say I thought it was a little confusing to. I even checked Blackspire's home page because it says for a different speed each time I find them for sale. My understanding is that the major difference between 8 and 9 is the space between small and middle ring that keeps the chain from falling in between rings. I think blackspire rings work by using pins and ramping to jump the chain onto the middle ring. In some of the photos of the Blackspire Super Pros pins are visible. Just my learn as I go knowledge not gospel. I did just switch my 3x8 to 2x9 today. Changing the bottom bracket, crank, and cassette was a breeze. If I ever get my X9 shifters and derailleurs from Price point I'll be set. Maybe I'll try riding this weekend with old derailleurs to see which makes the bigger difference. Of course my 8 speed shifter might not like that extra ring on back.
    Last edited by Spartan14; 07-29-2011 at 06:39 AM.
    Marin 29er
    "Try not to ride too long you might end up burning muscle!"
    http://www.beeftrain.com/

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Any single speed ring is not going to be ramped/pinned. THese are on the inboard side of a middle and big ring to help the chain move up from the next ring down. SS rings don't need this.

As far as the difference between 8,9,10 speed, I'm not sure about 10, but for this application, I know 8 and 9 ss rings are interchangeable (if there are even any differences at all). The main difference between 8 and 9 sp rings has more to do with shifting. The 9 speed chains are narrower on the outside than the 8 sp chains, so the ramps and pins are a little different between the 8 and 9 sp rings. The internal widths are pretty much the same, so once on the chainring the 8 and 9 work pretty much the same.

I am currently running a "9 sp" ss ring (actually sold as a DH ring, which are ususally single ring setups) on the front of a 1x8 for my commuter, Been doing it for a few years.

You might post another question on this forum to double check that 10 sp are as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    great explanations, thanks all

someone posted earlier that if im removing the front derailleur (and thats the plan) then i need to do something to keep the chain on.

does this mean something like a chain tensioner or guide?

Kapusta, how do you deal with this on your commuter?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    great explanations, thanks all

someone posted earlier that if im removing the front derailleur (and thats the plan) then i need to do something to keep the chain on.

does this mean something like a chain tensioner or guide?

Kapusta, how do you deal with this on your commuter?
    BBG bashgaurd and Ngear Jumpstop. This works for me on a 1x9 hardtail mtb as well.

Look around on this board, there are countless threads that deal with this. It is one of the most discussed topics on the drivetrain board.