mtbr member

Switching to a 2 x 9 set up.. Question on gear selection

I am looking to change to a 2 x 9 set up but can't justify the new dedicated cranks. I found and ordered a 26/38 gear combo from CRC in UK. These will replace the current 22/32/44 on my cranks now. What are your thoughts on running a 26/38 front with 11-34rear on 26 inch wheels? Most of my riding has short(50-100foot) but steep climbs. Sometimes head to locations with long climbs. Any issues you might see in this combo. Currently I can't think of any but wouldn't mind real input.
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I currently ride 26/36 with 11-34 out back, coming from a 22/32/44. I never used my big ring, and rarely used my little ring. I originally just took off the big ring and put a bash, but I would spin out in the 32 chainring on descents and roads. What I did was figure out what gearing I use most of the time for climbing (which was 32 front 34 back), figure out the absolute lowest gear I needed (which turned out to be 22 front 30 cog rear). Then go to sheldonbrown.com or some of the other gear calculator websites and work out chainring sizes that are compatible.

For me, a 36 chainring I can still climb most of the stuff and not spin out on the downhills, and for the steep, the 26 is plenty.

Next time I will probably go 1x10 just for the simplicity, 36 or 34t chainring.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan
    I am looking to change to a 2 x 9 set up but can't justify the new dedicated cranks. I found and ordered a 26/38 gear combo from CRC in UK. These will replace the current 22/32/44 on my cranks now. What are your thoughts on running a 26/38 front with 11-34rear on 26 inch wheels? Most of my riding has short(50-100foot) but steep climbs. Sometimes head to locations with long climbs. Any issues you might see in this combo. Currently I can't think of any but wouldn't mind real input.
    Only you know how low a gear you need. The switch from the 22t to 26t small ring will make your lowest gear roughly the same as using your current 22t ring with a 29t cog, which is just a tad steeper than your second biggest cog, assuming that is a 30t. The real quick answer is that you will loose your one lowest gear on the bottom end. Do you ever feel like you need your current 22t ring / 34t cog combo? If not, I don't think you will have any issues with the 26t ring.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I guess if I look at it that way... I should have no issues. Just making sure there was nothing being missed. I should be able to ride that combo pretty much all the time. Thanks
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Can't take creidt for this. From another thread on this board:

" Also, by dropping the big ring, you will need to find shorter chain ring bolts, install spacers on your current chain ring bolts, or install a bash guard of some sort."

Probably want to keep this in mind.
    Hustle can beat talent, but if talent hustles, you're screwed!