mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Switching to 1x11 from 3x9 - Few questions

Hey guys,

I know there are a million "switching to 1x" threads, but I just wanted to confirm/ask a couple things related to my specific setup.

I currently have a 3x9 setup that I will be replacing. Planning on reusing my LX-M580 crank and using a narrow wide 32T chainring in the middle position (exact ring TBD).

I'm a grip shift guy so I will be going with the Sram GX 11 spd grip shift and a matching GX 11 spd rear derailleur. Since I can't use the GX cassette on my current freehub, I was considering using the NX cassette. Unfortunately, the NX cassette is very heavy, and also only has the largest 3 cogs connected together. Based on my research, I think I can use an XT M8000 cassette instead, which is lighter and has the 1-3 and 4-6 cogs connected, which would help save my alumnimun freehub body. Can anyone confirm that 1) the 11 spd XT M8000 cassette will work on a 8/9/10 speed hub and 2) will the cassette work well with the Sram GX shifter and derailleur?

Another question I have is about the grips. The 1x system will have the GX gripshift and grip on the right side. What do people use for a grip for the left side? Ideally, the grip would be the same as the right, but i dont think sram makes a similar grip for the opposite side. I have other grips I could use, but i'm concerned it might feel funny with different grips.

Last question - if I go with the GX shifter/derailleur and the XT cassette, should I go with the Sram or Shimano chain? I would think the chain would be more related to the cassette and might get smoother shifting with the chain and cassette matching, but wanted to see if you guys had any other opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Cassette will work fine. If you want other options, Sunrace is a bit lighter than XT. Garbaruk makes a super nice 11 speed cassette that fits a normal freehub, not cheap but much lighter than Shimano or Sunrace.

I don't run grip shifters ever so can't comment on that. I would try to get something roughly the same diameter.

Personally a big fan of KMC 11 speed chains over shimano or sram. Even their entry X11.93 is a really good chain.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Back in the bad old days I had the opposite problem, I ran gripshift on the left for the front derailleur and a trigger on the right. I just chose my favourite lock on grips, and cut one down to fit with the gripshift.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Cassette will work fine. If you want other options, Sunrace is a bit lighter than XT. Garbaruk makes a super nice 11 speed cassette that fits a normal freehub, not cheap but much lighter than Shimano or Sunrace.

I don't run grip shifters ever so can't comment on that. I would try to get something roughly the same diameter.

Personally a big fan of KMC 11 speed chains over shimano or sram. Even their entry X11.93 is a really good chain.
    Thanks for the input. Would all of the sunrace 11spd cassettes fit on a 8/9/10 speed freehub? Is there one you would recommend? I don't know anything about the sunrace cassettes.

I've used KMC chains in the past as well. Is there anything that should be considered with compatibility of the chain with the cassette? For example, how the cassettes has "ramps" or deformations to assist with shifting and how that would interact with the shape of the chain links? Or is does not really make a noticeable difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Back in the bad old days I had the opposite problem, I ran gripshift on the left for the front derailleur and a trigger on the right. I just chose my favourite lock on grips, and cut one down to fit with the gripshift.
    I've thought about that. Unfortunately, the sram gripshifts come with grips that are interlocked with the shifter, so it would be nice to use them. However, after some more research, I did find that sram sells just the grips that would match. Looks like the 122mm length would approximately match the length of the gripshift.
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=15....0.rvI5bzKf1Pw

Looks like I have to buy the pair. Anyone looking to do the same and want to split a pair with me? :-)
    Last edited by Vball_MTNBKR; 1 Week Ago at 10:49 AM.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Vball_MTNBKR View Post
    Thanks for the input. Would all of the sunrace 11spd cassettes fit on a 8/9/10 speed freehub? Is there one you would recommend? I don't know anything about the sunrace cassettes.

I've used KMC chains in the past as well. Is there anything that should be considered with compatibility of the chain with the cassette? For example, how the cassettes has "ramps" or deformations to assist with shifting and how that would interact with the shape of the chain links? Or is does not really make a noticeable difference?
    As long as you are using mountain and not road cassettes the 11 speed ones should fit a normal 8/9/10 freehub. The exception is obviously the SRAM XD cassettes or Hope or other proprietary freehub interfaces.

The MX 11 is the one I would recommend if you go sunrace, you just need to figure out what gearing you want, they range on the outer ring from 40T - 50T. Not positive on the derailleur you're referring to, you may need a goat link or other mechanism to increase the range to work with the larger cassettes.

There's probably not a huge difference in chain function, some weight differences. I've gotten great life out of the KMC ones and the quick link is better than the SRAM quick link IMO.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vball_MTNBKR View Post
    Hey guys,

I know there are a million "switching to 1x" threads, but I just wanted to confirm/ask a couple things related to my specific setup.

I currently have a 3x9 setup that I will be replacing. Planning on reusing my LX-M580 crank and using a narrow wide 32T chainring in the middle position (exact ring TBD).

I'm a grip shift guy so I will be going with the Sram GX 11 spd grip shift and a matching GX 11 spd rear derailleur. Since I can't use the GX cassette on my current freehub, I was considering using the NX cassette. Unfortunately, the NX cassette is very heavy, and also only has the largest 3 cogs connected together. Based on my research, I think I can use an XT M8000 cassette instead, which is lighter and has the 1-3 and 4-6 cogs connected, which would help save my alumnimun freehub body. Can anyone confirm that 1) the 11 spd XT M8000 cassette will work on a 8/9/10 speed hub and 2) will the cassette work well with the Sram GX shifter and derailleur?

Another question I have is about the grips. The 1x system will have the GX gripshift and grip on the right side. What do people use for a grip for the left side? Ideally, the grip would be the same as the right, but i dont think sram makes a similar grip for the opposite side. I have other grips I could use, but i'm concerned it might feel funny with different grips.

Last question - if I go with the GX shifter/derailleur and the XT cassette, should I go with the Sram or Shimano chain? I would think the chain would be more related to the cassette and might get smoother shifting with the chain and cassette matching, but wanted to see if you guys had any other opinions.

Thanks in advance!
    You'll be fine with the XT cassette.
    The grip shifter will come with the half grip to go with it and the full grip for the left side. And if you don't like the feel of them just buy whatever grips you like and cut one in half - I use oury's and have the SRAM grips in my parts selection.
    Match the chain to the cassette would be my recommendation, I'm sure others will have their own thoughts.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    As long as you are using mountain and not road cassettes the 11 speed ones should fit a normal 8/9/10 freehub. The exception is obviously the SRAM XD cassettes or Hope or other proprietary freehub interfaces.

The MX 11 is the one I would recommend if you go sunrace, you just need to figure out what gearing you want, they range on the outer ring from 40T - 50T. Not positive on the derailleur you're referring to, you may need a goat link or other mechanism to increase the range to work with the larger cassettes.

There's probably not a huge difference in chain function, some weight differences. I've gotten great life out of the KMC ones and the quick link is better than the SRAM quick link IMO.
    Thanks again for the input. I looked into the sunrace cassettes and its only 15g lighter than the XT for the 11-42 cassette I am looking at, so I went with the XT. The GX 11-spd derailleur claims a "max tooth" of 42T, so that cassette should work fine. That will result in a ~10% decrease in gearing from what I have now, so it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    You'll be fine with the XT cassette.
    The grip shifter will come with the half grip to go with it and the full grip for the left side. And if you don't like the feel of them just buy whatever grips you like and cut one in half - I use oury's and have the SRAM grips in my parts selection.
    Match the chain to the cassette would be my recommendation, I'm sure others will have their own thoughts.
    I just found this out myself (that the single GX grip shift comes with the left hand grip as well). Luckily, I could cancel my order for the additional grips i bought late last night.

So I have the RD, cassette, and shifter purchased. Now I just need the chainring and chain, and I'll be good to go. Any recommendations on the chain ring? I know to get a narrow wide, and I'm leaning towards the oval ring. I like the absolute black that i've seen, but are there any less expensive quality chainrings? Thinking of a 30t or 32t.