Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Switch from 3X10 to 2X10 ?

I have a new Trek Superfly Elite 100AL Elite and one of my friends is recommending I have it changed to a double chainring. I never use the large ring and could do without it but I guess it would be expensive to convert?

mtbr member
    If you got a perfect 3x10 already you don't need to spend in any kind of upgrades.

But if you want to try you might only need a new crankset 38/24, 39/26 or whatever suits your riding and you might want to get a 11-36 cassette but is not a most.
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Just never use the large ring!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    on the same boat here...

i also barely use the large ring and my hands are just itching to get rid of it and put in a bash ring instead with the thinking that ill at least shave off a bit of weight... if this is the case, would it be a significant weight change?
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member

So lets see, you have something like a 22-32-42? And you never use the 42?
    Why not just replace the 42 with a 36 or 38?
    That way you still get everything and keep the triple ring
    Bill

mtbr member
    My bike has a 46-32-24.

mtbr member
    Just buy a bashgguard, and mount it where your big ring currently is. I just bought on for $18 shipped!
    Doesn't get much cheaper than that.
    Or you could just lose the big ring and buy shorter bolts to attach your middle ring to your crank. That'll only cost you $7-$8, but I still reccommend a bash.
    Mine is a BBG.

mtbr member

Bash guard, excellent suggestion.
    Or drop the 46 down to a 36 or 38

Either way you are still getting good use out of it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Just buy a bashgguard, and mount it where your big ring currently is. I just bought on for $18 shipped!
    Doesn't get much cheaper than that.
    Or you could just lose the big ring and buy shorter bolts to attach your middle ring to your crank. That'll only cost you $7-$8, but I still reccommend a bash.
    Mine is a BBG.
    Okay, that sounds like a plan but I have a few questions;

How do I get the right size guard and how does it fasten?

What happens if I shift to that ring by mistake? That did happen to me once on single track. I was so winded and struggleing that I went up in a gear instead of downshifting.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Okay, that sounds like a plan but I have a few questions;

How do I get the right size guard and how does it fasten?

from what i've read, you should be getting the size of your middle ring which is a 32. how it fastens? now, this is where i am stuck myself. im thinking and ive read (although not ideal) that you can just loosen the bolts from your crank, slide the outer ring out and then put the bashguard in.

What happens if I shift to that ring by mistake? That did happen to me once on single track. I was so winded and struggleing that I went up in a gear instead of downshifting.

you need to adjust your FD so that itll only go up to the middle ring. i am not much concerned about this as my present setup, an XT has a feature where you can switch from a 3 to 2 gears.

Thanks!
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    I would prefer to just have two chainrings as opposed to a bash guard. I would be easier to clean and less crevaces for dirt & mud to hide.
    Adjusting the the FD is not something I would attempt.

I wonder what a bike shop would charge to remove the chain ring and make the necessary adjustments?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    9 - Front Derailleur Adjustment - YouTube

the bolts on one of my shifter/brakes got stripped from over tightening from the TREK dealer i got my SF from, another LBS charged me $10 to install carbon fiber handlebar and stem.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    I think that the whole 2x10 idea is about getting 2 rings that actually suit your riding having 20 useful gears, mostly all 3x10 cranksets are 44 or 42/34 or 32/24 or 22 and the main idea is get 2 rings that are in between.

I went from 44/32/22 and 11-34 cassette to 39/26 and 11-36 and don't have any plans of going back to 3x10. If you ditch the large ring don't expect great weight savings
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    All of that makes sense and I have been looking at other cross country bikes on line to determine the size of the two chainrings they use.
    Specialized SJ goes with the 38/24 so I am thinking of pricing a new double chainring on line and the see what my LBS wants to install the new ring.

I am thinking this is my best bet !

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    I think that the whole 2x10 idea is about getting 2 rings that actually suit your riding having 20 useful gears, mostly all 3x10 cranksets are 44 or 42/34 or 32/24 or 22 and the main idea is get 2 rings that are in between.

I went from 44/32/22 and 11-34 cassette to 39/26 and 11-36 and don't have any plans of going back to 3x10. If you ditch the large ring don't expect great weight savings
    that answers my question. now you got my intrigued with a 39/26 setup.. will check what i have currently but based off memory, i think ill just need the the front chain rings...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member

BTW, it looks like my crank is part of my large chain ring. It is a Shimano SLX so I would need to change out the whole assembly!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    So lets see, you have something like a 22-32-42? And you never use the 42?
    Why not just replace the 42 with a 36 or 38?
    That way you still get everything and keep the triple ring
    Bill
    That is an interesting thought!

knobby noob
    Hi all. Am in a similar situation myself. Stock setup is an XT 42/32/24.

Thinking of ditching the 42t for a bashguard and just tweaking the limit screw for the FD. Couple of questions here:

1) Is there any way I can just get a 38t (Shim or others) to replace the 32t middle ring?

2) Was just thinking of bolting on a plain bashguard. Would I actually need one integrated with a chain guide? Or a separate chain guide? Or it's not necessary for my setup at all?

Thanks for reading...
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC
    2012 Devinci Atlas

mtbr member
    The short answer to question 2 is you don't NEED a chain guide, you can use one if you want.
    Remeasure and take links out if your chain after you take off your big ring.
    I'm pretty new at messing with my drive train, more experienced people will chime in soon I'm sure...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axl886 View Post
    Hi all. Am in a similar situation myself. Stock setup is an XT 42/32/24.

Thinking of ditching the 42t for a bashguard and just tweaking the limit screw for the FD. Couple of questions here:

I hope this help!
    1) Is there any way I can just get a 38t (Shim or others) to replace the 32t middle ring?

2) Was just thinking of bolting on a plain bashguard. Would I actually need one integrated with a chain guide? Or a separate chain guide? Or it's not necessary for my setup at all?

Thanks for reading...
    Yes, you can remove the 32 and change it to a larger one, like a 36 or 38 if you know you will need a higher gear.

I have the same setup, 42/32/24 and I have determined I do not need my 42 inch chainring. I am going to order a bashuard from One-10 sports, a 32-34T and it will just replace the large 42T chainring. The derailluer gets adjusted and perhaps a few chain links will be removed that will reduce chainslap.
    Go to YouTube and you will see a video on bashguard installation compliments of One-10.

I hope this help!

mtbr member

Biggest "advantage" that isnt talked that much about with the marketing hype is a crankset designed as a 2x system will have a slightly better chainline (and more adjustment options) then a 3x system

Personally, with my 3x system I just removed the big ring/added the bash ring. The gearing is fine for me - I dont run out of gears descending. I am waiting for trickle down of the xx1 technology and when that becomes affordable a nice 1x setup will find its way onto my bike(s)

mtbr member
    Amen 006_007! Not about the weight for me, rather getting rid of a chainring I will never use, have a nice strong bashguard in it's place and be be able to use all of the gears.
    I am sure there are plenty of young aggressive riders who need and would use the large ring but not me. or at least on my FS bike.

I really like the One-10 bash guards!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    There are loads of threads on here about converting 3x9 to 2x9. Pretty sure the same goes for 10 speed.

You just take off the big ring and bolt on a bashguard in it's place using the same chainring bolts. Dial in the high limit screw on the FD to keep from shifting into the big ring position. Shorten the chain (don't skip this, it is the biggest benefit of loosing the big ring, IMO)

Total cost? $18 Home

If you want, you can go up in size on the middle ring, but if you NEVER need your big ring now, that means you don't need a bigger middle ring, either.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    There are loads of threads on here about converting 3x9 to 2x9. Pretty sure the same goes for 10 speed.

You just take off the big ring and bolt on a bashguard in it's place using the same chainring bolts. Dial in the high limit screw on the FD to keep from shifting into the big ring position. Shorten the chain (don't skip this, it is the biggest benefit of loosing the big ring, IMO)

Total cost? $18 Home

If you want, you can go up in size on the middle ring, but if you NEVER need your big ring now, that means you don't need a bigger middle ring, either.
    Great info, I am oding EXACTLY what you have mentioned. I have never used my 42T chainring and do not even come close so IMO it would be a great benefit to lose the big ring.

Not sure about your $18 cost estimate, I do live in NY but my LBS owner is very good to me since we have purchased 4 bikes from him over the past several years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post

Not sure about your $18 cost estimate, I do live in NY but my LBS owner is very good to me since we have purchased 4 bikes from him over the past several years.
    Uh, yeah.
    I have a bash guard from BBG too, and they are $18 including shipping to the continental US.

'Merica!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast