Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

swinggy derailleur

470 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Crankenator 
#1 ·
My Rear derailleur has ben making noize when i go off of bumps. When i go of the curb at low speeds my rear derailleur swings up and hits the frame and cogs. This never happened on my old bike. what can i do? is it just a defective product. Its a deore on my 10 Gf Wahoo Disc.

#3 ·
Try a neoprene chainstay protector like Lizard Skins for about $10. It will muffle the noise. You could also try to glue a piece of dense foam or something to the derailleur where it's contacting the frame. The other option is to buy a derailleur with a stiffer spring, like the SLX or XT....it helps.

Until recently, all derailleurs did that. The newer SLX and XT models use a stronger spring for that reason....lighter springs can give better shifting performance but mountain bikes have other concerns.....Shimano finally addressed that. The Sram derailleurs are better than the older/cheaper Shimano ones, but not as good as the new Shimano in that regard.

You might check to be sure that your chain was cut to the proper length before it was installed, but that's not going to affect the frame-banging a whole lot. It just happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.