Did I catch a niner?

New question here. Swapping out my SRAM X.7

So I am looking to drop my X.7 for possible a Shimano XTR however the part that is confusing me about these rear derailleurs are which one I would need. I am planning on putting my Shimano LX dual control system on once I get this figured out. But I keep seeing GS and SGS and do not really understand what that means. But some readings show that one is a longer cage which can depend on what your tooth count is? Maybe I am over thinking this.

I ride a 2009 Cannondale 29er 2

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Former Bike Wrench
    GS is a mid cage, SGS is a long cage. You'll see total capacity used too, although I find it to be very conservative. What it basically means is the tooth difference between the small and large chainrings and the small and large cogs on the cassette. So, a triple with 22/32/44 crankset and a 11-34 cassette would be a 45t total capacity (22t for the crankset + 23t for the cassette)...the max for an SGS. A double crankset with a 22/32 crankset and an 11-34 cassette would be a 33t total capacity, which is what Shimano says is max for a GS.

Like I mentioned, these are VERY conservative max ratings. I have easily run a 37t capacity on a GS derailleur with no issues.

Did I catch a niner?
    Thanks mtnbiker72 I did in fact get this figured out and my lbs had a sweet deal on a Shimano XTR M971 SGS.

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1