mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Swapping JUST the cages on X.9 rear.

I have both a long cage X.9 rear derailleur (5 months old) and a short cage X.9 rear derailleur (brand new). I am lazy and don't want to setup a new rear derailleur.

Can I just swap the long cage assembly out for the short cage assembly?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    not sure that you can. the short cage x9 shares bearings, etc with the x0 whereas the x9 does not. it would be more work to do the swap that to set up the new derailluer i would think
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yep. Just figured that out after disassembling the short cage.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, good call on the screen name! Heh, jk! At least you know now how to get it apart to service the pulley's. Just keep the long cage derailluer set aside as backup. A medium X9 cage could be swapped on, however.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

THELAND photographer
    anyone got a pic tutorial of how to swap a cage? i ripped just the cage off my x9 (med) a few months ago, it spun around in a circle and the bolt sheared off, but the body of it is like new....and i have 2 x0/x9 rear mechs that the body broke in half but the cage is fine and i want to frankenstein a rear derailleur back together....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Should be pretty simple. One allen bolt holds on the outer cage plate and the pulley to the body. Unscrew that. Then there will be another allen bolt holding the inner cage plate on. Unscrew that. SWAP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    imo i think it is more easy to change the derailleur it shelf ... and ajust it ...

THELAND photographer
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish
    Should be pretty simple. One allen bolt holds on the outer cage plate and the pulley to the body. Unscrew that. Then there will be another allen bolt holding the inner cage plate on. Unscrew that. SWAP.
    problem is i sheared of the inner bolt by spinning the cage around accidentily while riding....so no bolt head,

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleProph6
    problem is i sheared of the inner bolt by spinning the cage around accidentily while riding....so no bolt head,
    Not a jab at you, but are you mechanically inclined? Go get a left handed drill bit or extractor bits if you are. If not go buy yourself a new derailleur.

THELAND photographer
    yes i am mechanically inclined, just wasnt sure if it were completely toast