mtbr member
    May 2008

New question here. Surly KM as a 1 x 4; any suggestions?

Hola to all,

I'm currently working on converting my Surly KM from a SS to 1 x 4. I plan to run a 32-tooth front chain ring, and I was wondering on gear ratio selections for the rear. I am a cross country rider from southwest Florida and my goal is to have a good gear for carrying speed in the flats with a few gears in between for climbing up in Blue Ridge, GA. I also need a few suggestions for a rear D; I hear that some folks are using road bike rear D's because of the extremely short cage.

I'm not sure of exactly which way to go here, so please post any and all suggestions.

Gracias

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wh1tesurly ss
    Hola to all,

I'm currently working on converting my Surly KM from a SS to 1 x 4. I plan to run a 32-tooth front chain ring, and I was wondering on gear ratio selections for the rear. I am a cross country rider from southwest Florida and my goal is to have a good gear for carrying speed in the flats with a few gears in between for climbing up in Blue Ridge, GA. I also need a few suggestions for a rear D; I hear that some folks are using road bike rear D's because of the extremely short cage.

I'm not sure of exactly which way to go here, so please post any and all suggestions.

Gracias
    Here is a thread where I turned my Karate Monkey SS into a three speed.

My 1x3 (3 speed) experiment

Sinse then I tried making it a 5 speed with a 32t ring and 13-17-21-28-34 cogs. The ultegra short cage der would not work with the 34t, so I used an old xt. I'm going to ditch the 34t (does not shift well, and I really don't need it), so I'l have 13-17-21-28. I should be able to use the ultegra again. If I could get a 14t, I would replace the 13, but this works fine. The 17 - 21 combo are the perfect two gears 95% of the time, and the 28t, although a bigger ratio jump than the 17-21 jump, is perfect for when I need some relief on those climbs I could never really pull off on the 32:20 ss combo.