mtbr member
    Apr 2013

... and if we just ... Suntour XCT or XCC?

Does anyone know real difference between a suntour XCT and XCC crankset? As far as I know they are pretty similar in price. My Bike comes with a XCC 170mm 42/34/24 that uses a 122mm BB. I want to change to a 175mm crank. I have my eyes on the XCT which is 175mm 42/34/24 but I am not sure if this would be an upgrade or downgrade? The XCT version has changeable chainrings and the crank is actually bolted onto the ring. So it seems to me that this is a better design but again I am new to this so any help I can get is appreciated. Thanks.Name:  xcc.jpg
Views: 2910
Size:  27.5 KBName:  xct.jpg
Views: 3465
Size:  29.6 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It isn't really an upgrade or a downgrade - they are both $30 cranks - personally I would look for a second hand 175mm 9 speed deore or Truvativ crank and BB for around $50 ~ $70 and keep riding the bike till you brake the XCC - won't take long. My kids 24" bike came with an SR Suntour XC something or other - it was wrecked within a couple of months of them starting to ride trail rather than just park tracks and messing about with their mates. (along with the junk SR Suntour 24" forks, the junk FD, crappy HRXC rims etc) - why doesn't anyone make a decent 24" bike that is actually trail ready - Spesh, Trek, etc I am talking about you. anyhow I digress

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    It isn't really an upgrade or a downgrade - they are both $30 cranks - personally I would look for a second hand 175mm 9 speed deore or Truvativ crank and BB for around $50 ~ $70 and keep riding the bike till you brake the XCC - won't take long. My kids 24" bike came with an SR Suntour XC something or other - it was wrecked within a couple of months of them starting to ride trail rather than just park tracks and messing about with their mates. (along with the junk SR Suntour 24" forks, the junk FD, crappy HRXC rims etc) - why doesn't anyone make a decent 24" bike that is actually trail ready - Spesh, Trek, etc I am talking about you. anyhow I digress
    Thanks Jon, I already have the XCT. So I need to either get rid of this or the XCC that came with the bike. Just wondering if it's worth the while to swap the XCT and just sell the XCC. Both are new.