Suntour XC Expert vs Pro thumbshifters

Okay I know, who cares about thumbshifters.

Anyway that's what I use. For the first time in 12 years I am not using Shimano thumbshifters. (Same pair by the way) I put on a suntour XC expert set on 8 speed yesterday. It rocks.

I was wondering the difference between the experts and pro's. Should I consider upgrading?

ganze

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job! Suntour thumbies - YES-YES-YES!!! :o)

Quote Originally Posted by Ganze
    Okay I know, who cares about thumbshifters.

Anyway that's what I use. For the first time in 12 years I am not using Shimano thumbshifters. (Same pair by the way) I put on a suntour XC expert set on 8 speed yesterday. It rocks.

I was wondering the difference between the experts and pro's. Should I consider upgrading?

ganze
    'sup, ganze!?!
    yes-yes-yes-yes....Suntour thumbies rule the world - IMHO. )
    I run 7/8-speed Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters on my Cove Hummer hardtail - w/ Shimano XTR 8-speed derailleurs. one word - smoov. real, real smoov!
    I've got a set of 7/8-speed Suntour XC Export thumbies that are my back-up set.
    well, just a little story that happened recently -
    I was switching-out a riser bar for a flat bar and my rear XC Pro thumby stripped-out at the mounting perch. aaaaaarrrggggghhhhh!
    low-and-behold - the mounting perch was remedied w/ the help of a handy-dandy heli-coil.
    whilst the shifter was outta commission (a week or so, waiting on the heli-coil kit to come in from QBP), I switched out the XC Pro shifter for the XC Expert shifter. no noticeable difference, really - other than the XC Pro has a metal top cap and has a tiny bit smoother shift stroke (and little bit less 'play' in the shift lever itself) - whereas the XC Expert has a plastic top cap (though the rest of the shifter is alloy, just like the XC Pro). there may have even been different barrel adjusters on the XC Pro vs. the XC Expert, but maybe that's a manufacturing thing or something...I dunno. (the barrel adjusters on mine are different, but then again - I might have done that a while back - can't say for certain now that I think about it...)
    anyway - hope this helps! drop me an e-mail if you have any questions -
    take care. good luck!
    [SIZE=4]EL_MATADOR[/SIZE]