Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

Sunrace and SR Suntour cassettes?

Cassette time again and I'm seeing the new SRAM 990 cassettes are something like 2.5x's the price I was paying for the old one. I never had a problem with the large jump between 1-2 and I was browsing the Jenson site and saw the Suntour cassettes that kind of look like the old SRAM ones.

Anyone use either the Suntour or Sunrace cassettes? I don't know who sells sunrace, and I don't know if they're any good, but hopefully someone else does.

Can't understand how SRAM can be pricing the 990's at $40 more than the XT 760.

banned
    Available at Jenson for a reasonable price. The Suntour site does not list the weight.

link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Cassette time again and I'm seeing the new SRAM 990 cassettes are something like 2.5x's the price I was paying for the old one. I never had a problem with the large jump between 1-2 and I was browsing the Jenson site and saw the Suntour cassettes that kind of look like the old SRAM ones.

Anyone use either the Suntour or Sunrace cassettes? I don't know who sells sunrace, and I don't know if they're any good, but hopefully someone else does.

The Suntour Super Power Flow cassette that Jensen is selling doesn't have the cogs on an alloy carrier, so it looks like the equivalent of an LX cassette. It costs about the same as an LX and is probably just as heavy. Also, with out the alloy spider, the cogs will dig into an aluminum drive shell, if that's what your hub has.

$60 isn't too bad for an XT cassette, Speedgoat is selling them for $83. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that XT's could be found for around $45 pretty easily though.

mtbr member
    Available at Jenson for a reasonable price. The Suntour site does not list the weight.

link
    I just found a weight for the SR Suntour cassette that Jenson is selling. 360g for the 11-34 according to weightweenies.com. The XT and the SRAM PG990 both weigh 295g for the 11-34.
    Last edited by VT Mike; 03-15-2006 at 05:25 PM.

banned
    Oh boy, thanks for getting me before I made the mistake. Looks like I can ebay an old 990 cassette for 39.99 and might just do it.

dot
    mtbr member

This is a new SRAM PG990 cassette, if you had seen the photo, it has a new spider (red) and a new lockring (also red) and it doesn't have 11-..-28-34 cogset option anymore. The old PG990 cassette is now renamed to PG980. Check out this link: http://www.sram.com/en/sram/mountain/cassettes/9speed/

I also wonder how much does this new cassette weigh...

mtbr member

Sunrace JuJu

I had a Sunrace JuJu cassette that was a huge POS. Wore out in 3 months and when I removed it, it essentially fell apart in my hands. The lock ring and pressure were the only things holding it together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dot
    The old PG990 cassette is now renamed to PG980.

No, the old PG990 hasn't been renamed to PG880. The 990 and the 880 are basically the same cassette, the only difference is that the spider on the 990 is anodized red (they are both aluminum though), and the 990 has an aluminum lock ring while the 980 has a steel lock ring. Both have the same cogs, 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 or 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34. The weights for the 990 are 305g and 275g, and for the 980 it's 310g and 280g. All of the info is here http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/...tions_MY06.pdf

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The suntour cassettes do shift well though.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike
    No, the old PG990 hasn't been renamed to PG880. The 990 and the 880 are basically the same cassette, the only difference is that the spider on the 990 is anodized red (they are both aluminum though), and the 990 has an aluminum lock ring while the 980 has a steel lock ring. Both have the same cogs, 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 or 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34. The weights for the 990 are 305g and 275g, and for the 980 it's 310g and 280g. All of the info is here http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/...tions_MY06.pdf

Oops. I'm sorry I was wrong. I just had an impression from the new PG-990 I saw.
    what a pity they don't do -28-34 cassettes anymore. I liked them, mine old PG990 11-34 weighed 294-295g.

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpick915
    I had a Sunrace JuJu cassette that was a huge POS. Wore out in 3 months and when I removed it, it essentially fell apart in my hands. The lock ring and pressure were the only things holding it together.
    Was your Sunrace cassette like this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    I have suspicions that the SRAM and Sunrace cassettes have the same manufacturer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    This is a new SRAM PG990 cassette, if you had seen the photo, it has a new spider (red) and a new lockring (also red) and it doesn't have 11-..-28-34 cogset option anymore. The old PG990 cassette is now renamed to PG980. Check out this link: http://www.sram.com/en/sram/mountain/cassettes/9speed/

So they're finally making something comparable to an XT cassette, and that means that it should cost $40 more?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    So they're finally making something comparable to an XT cassette, and that means that it should cost $40 more?
    Amen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike
    The Suntour Super Power Flow cassette that Jensen is selling doesn't have the cogs on an alloy carrier, so it looks like the equivalent of an LX cassette. It costs about the same as an LX and is probably just as heavy. Also, with out the alloy spider, the cogs will dig into an aluminum drive shell, if that's what your hub has.

$60 isn't too bad for an XT cassette, Speedgoat is selling them for $83. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that XT's could be found for around $45 pretty easily though.
    ? The Suntour website shows the Super Power Flow cassette built on a carrier. The cheaper Powerflow model is individual cogs.

mtbr member
    Was your Sunrace cassette like this one?
    I must admit that my cassette was nothing like the one in the photo. This one looks much sweeter. If you purchase that, let us know how it turns out for you.

By the way, what is the price for that cassette?

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpick915
    I must admit that my cassette was nothing like the one in the photo. This one looks much sweeter. If you purchase that, let us know how it turns out for you.

By the way, what is the price for that cassette?
    Yes, I bought it but I don't know when I put it on a bike.
    It cost somewhere around 40-45 in dollars. I'll put down a report If I don't forget
    It's a 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-34 cogset and weighs 294 g.

dot
    mtbr member
    Yes, I bought it but I don't know when I put it on a bike.
    It cost somewhere around 40-45 in dollars. I'll put down a report If I don't forget
    It's a 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-34 cogset and weighs 294 g.
    Finally, a tiny update on the above-mentioned sunrace cassettes. We, I and my wife, have been using them thoughout the season. The wife rode about 2000 km on it and was quite satisfied with its shifting quality. I did 600-700 km om it, mostly racing and, unfortunately, mostly in mud. So I still don't have a solid opinion how it shifts but I didn't mention any difference to SRAM/shimano in mud :-). The wear is negligible on both cassettes. Nonetheless I'd buy another one just because of the gearing (I don't have another choice) and price.

bang
    looks like a nice cassette for the money; i'll have to look into those.

***edit***

i can't find this thing for sale anywhere so far. also, from what i've read it retails for about $110 (update - the satin finish retails for $65 while the titanium nitride coated version is $110). so where did you find this thing? ebay? bike shop had one collecting dust?
    Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 01-01-2007 at 05:50 PM.

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    looks like a nice cassette for the money; i'll have to look into those.

***edit***

i can't find this thing for sale anywhere so far. also, from what i've read it retails for about $110 (update - the satin finish retails for $65 while the titanium nitride coated version is $110). so where did you find this thing? ebay? bike shop had one collecting dust?
    An LBS in Moscow Price was ~45-48$. But I didn't see Ti nitride-coated cassettes there.

bang
    Nonetheless I'd buy another one just because of the gearing (I don't have another choice) and price.
    actually, you do. i've seen these priced at $50 online, and bti has them in stock so your bike shop should be able to get one no problem. they do weigh more than the sunrace and sram 980 cassettes though (about 330g for 11-34 vs 300g for 980).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm glad someone has been able to locate sunrace products. Could you be able to tell me where you saw them? I'm interested in cassettes, cranks, and shifters. Thanks.

bang
    well, i think you can get them directly from sunrace, but i had larry at mountain high get a cassette for me. i'd call either sunrace or larry (he posts as ventanarama here by the way).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How are Larry's prices?

bang
    a little bit less than the listed msrp. they're always good; he has a reputation here for a reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast