mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Sunrace Rear derailleur hanger w/bolt

Anyone ever use one of these to convert SS to geared:?

From looking at it I think I see how it works (flip it so the open end has the same orientation as the track end/dropout and bolt on from the other side - plate on outside of dropout). Based on this method it should be possible to remove a wheel without having to detach the plate or the derailleur - is that correct? If any one can confirm how this works that would be awesome.

Also, can anyone who has used this comment on how well it works?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That hanger is mostly used on cheap frames that don't have a hanger built into the dropout, which is usually semi-horizontal. I've used one for a while and it worked OK. I eventually got a second one which I cut down, fitted, and welded to the dropout.

Your idea of flipping the hanger wont work because you'll have nowhere for your derailleur B spring screw to bump up against, unless you get out a file and cut a stop on the other side of the hanger.

It might just work then. Or maybe not? Just try it, as one of those hangers costs about $3

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, that really helps me visualize its intended use. The orientation of the part in the photo makes sense when considering its actually for semi-horizontal dropouts. Did not realize that before.