Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

SunRace cassette , wide range

I saw sunrace cassettes advertised in dirtrag.

CSMX3 10 speed 11-40 , 11-42
    CSMX8 11 speed 11-40 , 11-42

Says it's a two piece cassette on aluminum spiders.

I found no information about it under google.

Wonder when they will be sold ? Does anybody have any info ?

pic of the add in the mag.

SunRace cassette , wide range-szfaunq.jpg
    Last edited by johnD; 11-25-2016 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added new photo

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I checked SunRace's website a few days ago but there was no info. Thanks for posting what may be my next cassette.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

***** lurker
    subscribed

2017 Evil Following MB(primary trail bike)
    2017 Chiner 29er
    (XC-race bike)
    2017 Specialized Turbo Levo
    (the party bike)
    2012 Canfield Jedi
    (DH bike)
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    (fatbike)
    2011 Raleigh Renevio (road bike)
    2011 Giant Reign
    (my old trail bike)

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I checked SunRace's website a few days ago but there was no info. Thanks for posting what may be my next cassette.
    No joke!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    10 speed? Nice - just let me know when and where they are being sold.

edit: Also can we keep it somewhere between $80 - $120 as well? Pretty please

DFMBA.org
    Praxis has an 11/40 10sp coming this summer too.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I saw the same add, made the same searches, and have found nothing other than these postings. I'll volunteer to beta-test the the 10 speed one in black as soon as it hits the market. Odd that SunRace posted the ad without information on their website to back it up.

I'll send them an email and post back with their reply.

mtbr member
    80$. Cheep! Just kidding...maybe in May will be for selling ?!

tapatalk-A

Short-Change-Hero
    Thought I heard the Praxis was going to be like $110. Glad more are coming out with these. I will likely grab one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My LBS (owner/operator) saw it in the mag and tried to get info through his sources, but he also came up empty. He's going to keep checking and if he finds out anything before anyone else does, I'll post back.

mtbr member
    Glad to see more manufacturers coming out of the woodwork with these cassettes.

mtbr member
    They don't really have a reputation for making top quality suff, do they?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    They don't really have a reputation for making top quality suff, do they?
    I have a SunRace 11-36 9 speed cassette that was difficult to obtain. After a short amount of use it has really chewed my freehub and the shifting is well... poor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What about an 11-44 cassette?
    News - GarbaruK
    I don't know how authentic they are. The company just turned up as a follower on my instergram.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I have a SunRace 11-36 9 speed cassette that was difficult to obtain. After a short amount of use it has really chewed my freehub and the shifting is well... poor.
    Hmm, I'm reconsidering my offer to be the guinea pig for this product.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes View Post
    Hmm, I'm reconsidering my offer to be the guinea pig for this product.

The new SunRace has alloy carriers so it won't har your freehub. We will see about the shifting, but it shouldn't be hard to make a decent cassette.

mtbr member
    I had a sunrace 11-36 on my rockhopper from the factory , I felt is was on par with a shimano. No premature failure or wear. Poor quality ? idk about that.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I heard back from Sunrace:

Sorry I do not have a MSRP as we do not sell retail but the ball park should be around $100 to $120.

They are available now but we are just waiting for our distributors to receive them. First to get them I believe will be BTI.

If I can help with any other questions please let me know.

David

info@sunraceusa.com

1436 Second Street #409
    Napa, CA. 94559

(P) 1-707-259-6700

Sunrace
    Sturmey Archer | Internal gear hubs, hub brakes & dynamo lighting
    Sunrace Sturmey Archer News

Rocks belong
    Cheaper than an XT cassette and a Wolftooth cog!

mtbr member
    But, is the reliability there? I'm gonna bet no.

mtbr member
    Why wouldn't it be reliable? Does Sunrace have a record of failing cassettes?

mtbr member
    Well, in my opinion, there are only two companies that make a reliable drivetrain. Sunrace isn't one of them.

mtbr member
    And, if you look at their limited reviews, they're not so hot.
    Sunrace Reviews - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abrooks View Post
    What about an 11-44 cassette?
    News - GarbaruK
    I don't know how authentic they are. The company just turned up as a follower on my instergram.
    Wow and i thought a 42t already looked huge.

Land of the 230+
    I'm hoping they are stepping up their quality game. But its only a matter of time until full 11-42 cassettes make their way out into the aftermarket. I just hope it pushes shimano and sram to offer budget standard freehub parts as well.

mtbr member
    Some more info on the Sunrace stuff...looks like they got a rear derailleur too...with no clutch.

TPE15: Sunrace adds wide range 10 / 11 speed mountain bike cassettes, derailleurs

mtbr member
    following

I have an 8-speed sunrace that works well. However, it's 8-speed, which is pretty much as forgiving as you can get when you have a jacked up drivetrain.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi does anyone know if a normal Shimano Deore or SLX mid cage (gs) derailleur (with clutch) would work with this setup? Any experience with the 42t wolf tooth, one, hope, e13 etc. is appreciated and if just a longer b-tension screw is needed. Looking to get this to replace my current 11-36t cassette next month. Seems like many running a Shimano derailleur don't even need the longer b-tension from some posts on this forum with the 42t expander cog. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Hi does anyone know if a normal Shimano Deore or SLX mid cage (gs) derailleur (with clutch) would work with this setup? Any experience with the 42t wolf tooth, one, hope, e13 etc. is appreciated and if just a longer b-tension screw is needed. Looking to get this to replace my current 11-36t cassette next month. Seems like many running a Shimano derailleur don't even need the longer b-tension from some posts on this forum with the 42t expander cog. Thanks in advance.
    for the 10 speed , yes.
    check out the wolf tooth goatlink.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    for the 10 speed , yes.
    check out the wolf tooth goatlink.
    Thanks for that link. Seems like I recall seeing some people using the newer Shimano style derailleurs and not even having to use a longer b-tension screw or goatlink. I think it was buried deep in one of the oneup or wolf tooth 42t expander pages, will have to get lost in there a bit to see where I saw it.

Short-Change-Hero
    Has anyone seen any prices on these new "Wide Range" Cassettes? Only one that I have found is the Praxis at $139. Wondering if the SunRace or e*Thirteen will come in cheaper?

mtbr member
    That would be a bargain for a reliable cassette that shifts well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post

I've tried both Deore and XT mechs with big cogs while waiting on RAD cages. No long B screw was needed on either setup. However, I suspect it might be dependent on your particular hanger and what angle the B link rests at.

I'll add....I'm much happier with the shifting after installing the RAD cage.

mtbr member
    I'm looking to go to a wide range with the least amount of cash outlay.....The praxis will be the best option (11-40) as it will be the ONLY expense. I read somewhere that Specialized will be using the sunrace cassettes on some of their models....I've never used them, but don't think Spesh would invest in them if they were substandard. If they come in less than the praxis, then I would definitely look into a purchase.
    I love 'Murica!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coot271 View Post
    I'm looking to go to a wide range with the least amount of cash outlay.....The praxis will be the best option (11-40) as it will be the ONLY expense. I read somewhere that Specialized will be using the sunrace cassettes on some of their models....I've never used them, but don't think Spesh would invest in them if they were substandard. If they come in less than the praxis, then I would definitely look into a purchase.
    my 2014 rockhopper came with a sunrace 10 speed 11-36 cassette , I had zero complaints.
    eventually swamped the drivetrain out for xt.

mtbr member
    my 2013 Hardrock Sport came with 11-34 8spd Sunrace cassette. It had zero issues and it comes apart easy for cleaning or swapping cogs...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Latest update from Sunrace: "The new cassettes are all currently in production and should be here Mid July. Please have your local bike shop contact BTI for further information. They will be the first distributor to receive them."

So this should be about 20g lighter than an XT cassette with expander cog, and I would hope at least $50 cheaper. The Praxis is supposed to be out in June, will be about 80g lighter than the XT/expander, and roughly $20-$40 cheaper. It will be nice to have options.

mtbr member
    SunRace cassette , wide range-002-3-.jpgI have a Sunrace CS-MX 10 speed 11-36t cassette and it works like a dream. It shifts just as well as anything I have had, usually Sram. It looks good and does a good job. Been on there since before Christmas.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

Cyclopath 1000
    Feb 2009
    I too emailed them. Unless totally top end equipment there actually is only one quality cassette and that is shimano. It worries me that this company probably totally lacks manufacturing and probably posts specs on alibaba for some skanky shop to produce a run under their space. Carefully examine a xt cassette next to any other mid range one and you will see major differences in the metal working and the precision. I feel much better sticking with wolf plus shimano after further reflection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopath1000 View Post
    I too emailed them. Unless totally top end equipment there actually is only one quality cassette and that is shimano. It worries me that this company probably totally lacks manufacturing and probably posts specs on alibaba for some skanky shop to produce a run under their space. Carefully examine a xt cassette next to any other mid range one and you will see major differences in the metal working and the precision. I feel much better sticking with wolf plus shimano after further reflection.
    Cyclopath100, Have you ever used the cassette? If not you really cannot give your .02. I usually use to of the line SRAM cassettes and you cannot tell the difference between the two. Sunrace make some crappy components, but there cassettes are a great value and shift great.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

Cyclopath 1000
    Feb 2009
    Yes of course I have used all the majors. Not the sun race. Again look at the shimano workmanship with a good light and magnifying glass. Look at the details.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yes of course I have used all the majors. Not the sun race. Again look at the shimano workmanship with a good light and magnifying glass. Look at the details.
    I would love to look at a Shimano 11-42 10-speed cassette with a magnifying glass. All I really want is to see one on my bike. If Sun Race makes a cost effective and functional one and Shimano refuses to, I am willing to tolerate a lesser standard of finish as long as it rides well, hopefully we will have an answer to this question soon.

mtbr member
    However, if you use a laser light and a microscope to look at a SRAM cassette, you'll see who really makes the best cassette.

mtbr member
    I don't need a magnifying glass, the proof is how it functions. I would be willing to bet if you were riding a Sunrace cassette without knowing you would be hard pressed know the actual difference. Again your .02 is invalid. Actually use a product before going on a forum and badmouthing it....
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

Cyclopath 1000
    Feb 2009
    I only got into looking at the cassettes when I simultaneously did one up deals on my shimano ten speed on my tall boy and my sons Shram 10 speed enduromcomp comp. now granted the xt is probably a higher level than what specialized outfitted his brand new bike, but after the one up ate my pretty brand new derailier I looked real close at the cogs , the metal , the shifters rad etc etc and realized that the shimano has literally twice the ramps and that the one up didn't match either ramp pattern whereas the wolf did. Recently a rock bent his second from the top of the top of the native cassette but creative hammering by James at the shop made it rideable. Go look carefully. I am not talking about the scram top of the line stuff which is beautiful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002 (3).jpg 
Views:	4316 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	988183I have a Sunrace CS-MX 10 speed 11-36t cassette and it works like a dream. It shifts just as well as anything I have had, usually Sram. It looks good and does a good job. Been on there since before Christmas.
    How is the black chrome finish holding up? Also, are all of the cogs steel, or is the largest one(s) aluminum?

mtbr member
    data point:

I am the personal mechanic for my wifes bike. She beats the crap out of it and cross-shifts, wrong-shifts, and mis-shifts with staggering consistency.

The least complaints after a ride (me the dumbass always asks "How was the bike?") have been with a Sunrace, less complaints than Sram and Shimano upper level.

So, not looking under a microscope, not personally testing shifting, no other criteria other than a happy wife who WANTS to ride her 2x10 Giant Trance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    How is the black chrome finish holding up? Also, are all of the cogs steel, or is the largest one(s) aluminum?
    I don't knokw if you can tell in the picture, but it wearing off somewhat. It is a dull satin finish, but it still shifts great. The cogs are steel and the spider which is red in the pic is aluminum, as well the lock ring.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coot271 View Post
    I read somewhere that Specialized will be using the sunrace cassettes on some of their models....I've never used them, but don't think Spesh would invest in them if they were substandard. If they come in less than the praxis, then I would definitely look into a purchase.

Specialized has been using Sunrace cassettes on many of their models for at least 20 years if not more. My late 90's era Rockhopper came stock with one, I remember that and continued to replace with the Sunrace as it was good. They are every bit as good (if not better) than many SRAM and Shimano models if you look at dollar for gram.

Here are two quick examples..

Specialized Bicycle Components

Specialized Bicycle Components

I am anxiously awaiting the 11-42 10 speed model myself. I am going to get a new 30t race face ring to replace my current 1x 32t race face and 11-36 XT cassette.

mtbr member
    I received an email from Sunrace stating that they are currently in production of the 11-40/11-42 cassettes and BTI will be the first to have them, sometime in "late July".

mtbr member
    Also, it looks as though there will be two different versions. One with an aluminum big cog and lighter weight, and another heavier unit that's all steel cogs...........

Attachment 997703

Attachment 997704

mtbr member
    It looks like the Specialized Fuse Expert and Comp come with the black 10sp 11-40. The Expert uses the 10sp GX and the Comp runs the X7 RD.

mtbr member
    Praxis is also coming out with a wide range cassette. Here is a link to their site

10sp Wide Range Cassette | Praxis Cycles

Wondering what the price difference is going to be and functionality.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

Land of the 230+
    The praxis has been out for a month now. I have it and its a very good cassette IMO. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive so far. Its going to be a difficult goal to beat for sunrace, but the more competition the better, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It sounds like Praxis has hit the mark for quality, at a good weight and reasonable price. Sunrace needs a very good price point to be worth considering because their published weights are not that great and the best they can hope for is to be comparable in quality. They will have more options including 42t cogs, so that is a point for them until Praxis comes around on that one.

mtbr member
    Sunrace's gearing is better to me. They elected to keep the 36T which is an important gear for me. Without it, there would be many climbs that I wouldn't be able to pull the 34T of the Praxis, and that would force me into the 40T, which is a little too spinny for me.

Also, Praxis elected to make the 34T and the 40T from aluminum, whereas Sunrace only has the 40T made from aluminum, so the wear should be better for someone like me who will only use the 40T as a bailout gear.

Anyway, I agree that competition is a good thing.

mtbr member
    I prefer the gearing of the Sunrace compared to the Praxis too. You're going a couple teeth higher now in each gear compared to the Sunrace.

I think Praxis geared it that way to have more even steps when shifting. If Praxis does come out with a 42, the gearing should change to match the extra two teeth on the big cog.

mtbr member
    My LBS quoted me $65 out the door for the CSMX3 11-40T Champagne cassette. They are now listed on BTI, but are currently out-of-stock. He thinks it will be a matter of weeks, if not days before he can order one for me.

mtbr member
    Wow...that's a pretty awesome price! Lol...at that price I just may get one to try out. Is there any word on the black ones?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I wonder when/if it'll be available in the UK.
    It is a great price!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I riding with a SunRace 10 speed, 11-36 for 6 months now, and so far so good, good shifting compared to my other XT cassette and the black coating it's holding with minimum wear on the teeth.

I thin it looks good in black and matches my pivot M6

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Bikeman seems to have them listed as out of stock for $60:Bikeman SunRace CSMX3 10sp cassette, 11-42t - Champagne

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For me the 11-42 with STEEL big cogs is the point. Aluminum big cogs just wear out, bend, shed teeth. At $100 for just a giant cog adaptor from Wolftooth, OneUp, Hope, etc plus needing a 10 speed cassette as well......I could buy several of these SunRace cassettes, and likely will.

mtbr member
    My LBS called BTI yesterday and was told that the cassettes officially left China 2 days ago, and should be ready for sale in 2-3 weeks once they clear customs and get to BTI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Another good option if you stick with 10sp.

I like the fact that both have a 28-32-36 combo, you just have to pick your final gear.

40 or 42?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Couple hundred miles on my Praxis. Took a little time getting used to the ratios. Love it now. No complaints.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone have an update?

mtbr member
    The CSMS series (10 and 11s x40/42t) are due into J&B the end of October, I had a chance to look at some of Sunrace's other new stuff and it looks pretty darn nice! Definitely a viable more affordable option compared to the other two big S brands.

Even their new cranksets look decent, haven't had one in my hands yet but the look has definitely improved, hopefully the quality has as well.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by A Little Bird View Post
    The CSMS series (10 and 11s x40/42t) are due into J&B the end of October
    Oh man. That far out still? I have friends and family chompin' at the bit for these.

mtbr member
    Yessir, that's what I hear, hopefully earlier than that but well see. Should be about $68 retail if I had to guess which isn't too bad

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by A Little Bird View Post
    Yessir, that's what I hear, hopefully earlier than that but well see. Should be about $68 retail if I had to guess which isn't too bad
    Not at all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone know where these are/will be available in Europe?

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Oh man. That far out still? I have friends and family chompin' at the bit for these.
    It is a bit ridiculous how long it is taking to get these to market, they are losing a lot of sales. The ads have been running in magazines for months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VonFalkenhausen View Post
    It is a bit ridiculous how long it is taking to get these to market, they are losing a lot of sales. The ads have been running in magazines for months.
    I totally agree. Terrible marketing and supply. I may just end up with a full XT 11 speed setup instead..........

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yep. I certainly would have liked to see it with some time to experiment before my trip out West. Guess I'll still be riding 2x9.

Land of the 230+
    Available for order at Bikeman now. Hopefully my buddies get their orders in before all you guys flood them with orders, and they sell out.

11-40 Bikeman SunRace CSMX3 10sp cassette, 11-40t - Champagne
    11-42 Bikeman SunRace CSMX3 10sp cassette, 11-42t - Champagne

mtbr member
    Available for order at Bikeman now. Hopefully my buddies get their orders in before all you guys flood them with orders, and they sell out.

Just came in to post the same thing. I asked the LBS to order me one.

Rocks belong

Just ordered mine!

RAKC
    Just ordered one, 11-40. Been giving myself headaches trying to decide how I wanted to get more range outta my 1x10, this just answered it for me lol. Hopefully its here sooner than later. Not a huge fan of sites that sell online, but have to order from distributor then ship to me (and charge $11 to do it). One thing I like is all steel cogs except the big one, keeps 36t and no funky mods.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    $54 shipping to Canada, not happening. Ridiculous shipping charge for a 1 pound package. Does any other vendor carry the cassette?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner1 View Post
    $54 shipping to Canada, not happening. Ridiculous shipping charge for a 1 pound package. Does any other vendor carry the cassette?
    BTI will soon but I don't know if that solves your shipping problem? When BTI has them in stock, I'll post here and your LBS should be able to order from them.

mtbr member
    J&B and KHS do not have them in stock yet. KHS says by Nov 1st but I would say December 1st. Someone is trying to gouge you with that shipping.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I think the iPhone 7 will be out before these ship. However, I am curious how these work once they do ship, as the price point for a wide range 1x10 is pretty compelling.

RAKC
    Well crap, their site says 5-7 days
    ... If I don't have shipping confirm on day 7 its PayPal dispute time

mtbr member
    I'll be heading to Interbike in a few mins. I'll see if these guys are here. I'll ask when they'll actually be available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Finally got a shipping notice from Bikeman.com, I guess these things do exist.

Rocks belong
    Finally got a shipping notice from Bikeman.com, I guess these things do exist.
    Me too!

RAKC
    Just realized I got my shipping confirm earlier as well. God I hope these are worth a crap quality wise, be the first time I've paid more than $40 for a cassette lol (gotta love winter deals).

mtbr member
    Who's gonna be the first to put up a review with pics???????

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Shipping to the UK almost doubles the price..I wonder if it'll be available to buy from an EU supplier?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Out of stock at bikeman now. My local guy tried to order it and couldn't find one. BTI doesn't have it. Maybe the black ones will be available soon ;-|.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Mine shipped from bikeman yesterday. This should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

RAKC
    http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...psnpwtvqaf.jpg

They are real! I'll get it put in tonight and see how it does this weekend.

mtbr member
    ^ Looking forward to hearing your thoughts regarding shifting up/down, through the entire cassette.

mtbr member
    Weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Weight?
    Just got mine too, just a hair over 384g. This thing took long enough to get here, but it is damned nice looking, if it works half as good as it looks it will be the bargain of the year at $59.99. First impression out of the box, I am impressed.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They seem to be back up on the bikeman site with 2-3 day shipping.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Just got mine too, just a hair over 384g. This thing took long enough to get here, but it is damned nice looking, if it works half as good as it looks it will be the bargain of the year at $59.99. First impression out of the box, I am impressed.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Yes that looks like a cassette, hurry up and ride it. The pedaling masses want to know how well it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    They seem to be back up on the bikeman site with 2-3 day shipping.
    Yep, just ordered a 40T

RAKC
    If I feel up to it ill pedal around town tonight after work, see how it shifts.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast