Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 1,101 to 1,133 of 1133
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks everyone for your help. I figured out the problem, and it was not the sunrace cassette. I edited the original post with the explaination, so it's easy for anyone in the future to see the problem and "solution".

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by jindustry View Post
    EDIT:
    I think I figured out the root of my problem. There's nothing wrong with the sunrace cassette. When removing the old cassette, I had to force the locking ring loose with a breaker bar because it was stuck. That put so much torque on the 11t cog that it sheared the aluminum ridges off the end of the freehub body. If you look at the outside surface of the 11t, it's textured to grip the lock ring. The lock ring was so tight that it forced the 11t to turn with it when I forced it loose. Without the ridges at the end of the freehub body, the 11t has no purchase.
    Good to know. In the future, I would put the chain whip on the 11T cog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herpnasty View Post
    Hell Sunrace makes a 11-40T 9-speed.
    I'm getting one for my kid's 1x. He is running 30T n the front and 12x36 rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok I know that I have read it somewhere on here but can't find it again...
    Came from an old 11-40 PRAXIS cassette that would allow me to backpedal with no issues regardless of gear.
    Recently went to the 11-42 Sunrace (10spd) because I had worn a couple rings of the PRAXIS out, and needed cassette quick for a trip and my LBS had the steel 11-42.
    Anyways, now with a new chain, new shifter cable and the new cassette I cannot backpedal in the two largest gears. Even sitting at a stand still and just turning the crank backwards to get the pedals in a good position to start off results in the chain dropping down a gear or two.

Thoughts on this? Could the chainring be causing this? Should I be replacing the chain ring (32t NW) with a new one since I wore through the old cassette? I looked at the chainring and the teeth seemed fine with not obvious excessive wear or oblonging of the roller seats. Mind you the ring probably has close to 1k miles on it of hard riding, which the cassette did as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Couple of ideas. Might be the new chain is a bit stiff and that is causing the backpedal issue. Or it may be you need to lengthen the chain a bit. I had that 2nd issue on mine, instead of removing a link with a new chain, I left the new chain full length and backed off my B-tension screw and no more backpedal chain dropping.

Save Jesus
    Sunrace cassettes are just not good at backpedalling

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Mine backpedals fine, at least in the small ring (3X):

https://youtu.be/Zs9GWCjuUss?list=PL...GcHZaE7Ub&t=75

I've also narrowed my bottom bracket and moved the chain rings 5mm in closer to the seat post for a better chain line.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Sunrace cassettes are just not good at backpedalling
    Yeah I think the problem stems from the cassette not being specifically designed for a 1x drivetrain, which will have a slightly more offset chainline than you would find in a 2x or 3x setup. At least that is in my mind.

mtbr member
    My 10S 11-42 steel cassette back pedals fine. Im running WT NW chainring and 11 spd XT deraileur w Saint 10s shifter and 11s kmc chain. Works great.

Anyone see the new 10s 11-46T cassette from sunrace? Anyone try it?
    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact with the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Sorry if this has been asked guys but I didn't want to scour many pages of threads tonight. I am running a sunrace MX3 11x42 on my gravel bike and like it. On that bike I am running a SRAM x7 rear derailleur. At the time I ordered the cassette, Jensen USA sold me a .99 cent long b tension screw by Wolf Tooth. It turned out I didn't need it. I screwed the factory b tension screw all the way in and it was perfect. So I have this screw laying around. I am thinking of getting one of these cassettes for my MTB that gets used for bike packing a lot. It has a Shimano SLX rear derailleur medium cage with an 11x36 rear now. I thought I would ask any experiences with running one of these cassettes with the SLX derailleur? I am contemplating stripping both bikes down and finding out for myself but maybe someone would have a simple answer for me and save me all that trouble lol.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    42t cassette the longer b screw is pretty much required for shimano. They do 40t fine but 42 is a bit too much, requiring the longer b-screw. And truly at the point shifting quality can also start to suffer. Only real way I found to get shimano shift quality back was a goat link.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    42t cassette the longer b screw is pretty much required for shimano. They do 40t fine but 42 is a bit too much, requiring the longer b-screw. And truly at the point shifting quality can also start to suffer. Only real way I found to get shimano shift quality back was a goat link.

well actually since I am running a 30 front on this bike I am thinking on the 11x40 NOT the 42 as on my gravel bike. I was in the black hills last weekend and rode up to Rushmore and boy let me tell you after 50+ miles even the 30x36 felt tough on those 11 percent grades lol. It was either this, get a different crank set that can go smaller than 30 tooth (top end will suffer), or go with a double up front...

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    40t you should literally be fine. I ran shimano zee short cage (36t version) just fine on a 40t. May not even need the b screw, mine was only about 1/2 way in.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    40t you should literally be fine. I ran shimano zee short cage (36t version) just fine on a 40t. May not even need the b screw, mine was only about 1/2 way in.

cool can you tell me how the shifting will be with this set up? On my gravel bike with the SRAM it shifts awesome.

mtbr member
    lol! i run a SLX 10spd with the 11-42 and didnt need a longer screw....

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
    lol! i run a SLX 10spd with the 11-42 and didnt need a longer screw....
    Depends on the derailluer. Most people have no idea that many newer bikes and the SLX rds you can purchase as 10 speed are updated and allow for a 42t granny.

This DOES NOT apply to all shimano 10s rear derailleurs. Only select new ones.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    standard shadow+ 2016

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Ya thats the new versions. Same as came on my 2016 beast of the east. Bike came with slx drivetrain, 1x10 11-42 sunrace.

Dont have a picture of it as its m7000 with m8000 shifter now, 11-46. But they look REALLY similar.

Seeing as most people on 1x10 have bikes that are older than 2016 I prefer to error on the side of caution. Because previous SLX/XT etc dont handle 11-42 in their stock forms. Better to tell people they will likely need the longer b screw and they not need it.

Iowa: if your old version slx, shifting will be ok, just not as smooth and quiet. New SLX (2016+ 10 speed versions) then your golden.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I do not recommend the sunrace 11-42. Shifting to bigger cog is fine, but when shifting down to smaller cogs, it "snaps" into gear. I reset the RD, and made fine adjusts to the tension and limit screw, but still the same. Set up with new 32t raceface nw and new sram chain. Anyone run into similar situation and have a fix? I may go back to my old cassette and just add a 42 cog because i cant stand it

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Give the chain time to wear in before spending any more time /money

I like turtles
    I always use KMC chains and have never thought Sram chain shifter smoothly.

Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

mtbr member
    I'm using a Shimano XT chain with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRidge View Post
    I do not recommend the sunrace 11-42. Shifting to bigger cog is fine, but when shifting down to smaller cogs, it "snaps" into gear. I reset the RD, and made fine adjusts to the tension and limit screw, but still the same. Set up with new 32t raceface nw and new sram chain. Anyone run into similar situation and have a fix? I may go back to my old cassette and just add a 42 cog because i cant stand it
    SOLVED:

I removed chain tensioner and it shifts smoothly now. I didnt need it cause of my NW chainring, but i left it on, so 100% no dropped chains. After removing it, no more clanking when shifting to smaller cogs. I do recommend now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just set up 11-42 with SLX RD-M675-GS with a kmc 10 speed chain. My front ring is a RaceFace 32 NW. My bike is a Santa Cruz Bantam (single pivot). On the two rides I have done, it has been great. The shifting works fine under load. I am expecting it to get even better as it breaks in.

J0C
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by scoon View Post
    Just set up 11-42 with SLX RD-M675-GS with a kmc 10 speed chain. My front ring is a RaceFace 32 NW. My bike is a Santa Cruz Bantam (single pivot). On the two rides I have done, it has been great. The shifting works fine under load. I am expecting it to get even better as it breaks in.
    Are you running the M675 without a goat or RAD cage? Considering this same setup but would probably lean more towards the M8000 RD if I needed to buy a goat or RAD since I am purchasing new. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by J0C View Post
    Are you running the M675 without a goat or RAD cage? Considering this same setup but would probably lean more towards the M8000 RD if I needed to buy a goat or RAD since I am purchasing new. Thanks!
    Everything is stock. I only have the b screw in a bit more than 1/2 way. Some of the smaller cog shifts are not quite perfect but I expect that to get better with a few more rides. I have only had this set up since Thursday night and with only 4 rides.

mtbr member
    This thread still active? I have a question, anyone has the Sunrace MX80EA5 11sp. 11-50 ? Can the SRAM GX 1x11 deraileur be used for it? On their web page it is listed as compatible https://factoryjackson.com/2017/04/1...peed-cassette/ I just doubt it. The GX 1x11 has just one cage, so no long or medium cage difference. I know that Shiomano XT RD M8000 works with it, I prefer SRAM set. In attachment are pictures of my GX rd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SunRace cassette , wide range-img_2192.jpg  

SunRace cassette , wide range-img_2193.jpg  

Land of the 230+
    Just going from memory, the 11 speed GX derailleur was supposed to be limited to clear a 49T max. But with enough b limit screw, it should work, no? I seem to remember people running it on the 11-50 cassettes, but I cant 100% confirm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I can confirm it works with a 11-50. I was doubtful, but my brother found one from a company called "ZTTO" b4 Sunrace came out with theirs and it works with a SRAM GX set up. I don't see why Sunrace's model wouldn't work with the same tooth count

mtbr member
    Thank you for the info. 50t is 50t no matter which brand, so I will assemble it. If it is just about the b-screw, I guess no problem.

mtbr member
    Hi
    I also now have a Sunrace 11-50 on my fat bike.
    But I tried a combination of Sram GX 11-Speed shifter and Sram 11-Speed chain, plus a Sram 12-Speed GX Eagle

Today I just tested this combo on a 30 kilometer ride and wow.
    It works so smooth an quiet. The same for up and down shifting.
    No issues at all. I did not expected the sunrace cassette to be so damn quiet.

No more uphill worries for me
    SunRace cassette , wide range-26.jpgSunRace cassette , wide range-27.jpg

mtbr member
    You used the GX 12sp Eagle deraileur on a 11sp system? Your casset is Sunrace 11-50 11sp or 11-50 12sp? I did not quite understand, what works so smooth, with the GX 11sp or with the GX Eagle?

mtbr member
    Yes. The GX 12sp Eagle on a 11sp system. ( Sunrace 11sp cassette )

I have no shifting issues.
    It works just the same as good like the original Sram 12sp eagle group on my trail fully.

Shifts nice up and down.
    I really love the eagle derailleur and the GX eagle is cheap compared to most 11sp derailleurs who can barely handle the 50 teeth chainring on the cassette.
    Last edited by OneTrustMan; 1 Week Ago at 03:32 PM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112