mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Suitable Grease for Shimano Clutch?

My Shadow+ feels a little notchy when the cage travels through its range, so I thought I'd try lubricating the clutch as described here:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830789046.pdf

I don't have any of the shimano grease on hand, and can't find it online. I was thinking I'd try some Chris King grease that I have. Any recommendations otherwise?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Theoretically, you'd want a temperature resistant grease like the quoted internal gear hub grease. Most automotive bearing grease would be suitable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The clutch on my m786 wasnt fully releasing - moving backwards towards the rear of the bike. The cage was hanging mid stroke and causing massive slack in the line resulting in dropped chains on my 1x10, this was happening with the clutch on or off. Lubing the inside of the clutch case with phils tenacious oil cured my problem.

replying to a dead thread because this was the first result on 'lube shimano clutch'

mtbr member
    Just be careful as there's three distinct areas inside a Shimano clutch that need lubing, and one has very different requirements and therefore different lube.

While the clutch band and cam mechanism need a thick sticky grease that's going to stay put, the inner workings of the clutch drum has minute pawls and roller bearings, and needs a really thin oil so it doesn't gum up.

mtbr member
    My clutch was beginning to feel like crap, so I took it apart and re-greased it with Slick Honey, and the clutch HATED it. Tore it all apart again and refilled it with pink Mobil 1 grease and it is MUCH better. To truly grease it though you have to actually take the clutch out and apart as stated above