VENI VEDI BIKI

sugino tandem crank on MTB??

Long story short: I stripped one of the bolt holes for the small chainring on the inside of my sugino XD 600 crankset (the day before my new torque wrench arrived, no less). I can't find anyone that sells the XD-600 crankarm/spider as a stand alone item.

However, lots of places sell a Sugino XD RH Tandem crank/spider that looks just like the xd-600 mountain/touring crank I have for relatively cheap.

I know that left hand crankarm/spiders for tandems are threaded opposite "normal" ones, but I am not sure whether the RH Tandem XD-600 is that same piece as the standard xd-600 mountain/touring crankarm?

In other words, can I use the Sugino XD RH Tandem crank/spider to replace the stripped spider on my MTB?

Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker
    Long story short: I stripped one of the bolt holes for the small chainring on the inside of my sugino XD 600 crankset (the day before my new torque wrench arrived, no less). I can't find anyone that sells the XD-600 crankarm/spider as a stand alone item.

However, lots of places sell a Sugino XD RH Tandem crank/spider that looks just like the xd-600 mountain/touring crank I have for relatively cheap.

I know that left hand crankarm/spiders for tandems are threaded opposite "normal" ones, but I am not sure whether the RH Tandem XD-600 is that same piece as the standard xd-600 mountain/touring crankarm?

In other words, can I use the Sugino XD RH Tandem crank/spider to replace the stripped spider on my MTB?

Thanks
    One stripped bolt hole? I would use a thread replacement Loctite before replacing the crank.

Rear right side tandem cranks are the same as a single driveside cranks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    One stripped bolt hole? I would use a thread replacement Loctite before replacing the crank.
    I thought of that but wasn't sure because i am using it in a double/single (dingle) set up.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Rear right side tandem cranks are the same as a single driveside cranks.
    By "single" do you mean you mean non-tandem crank or "single chainring"?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker
    I thought of that but wasn't sure because i am using it in a double/single (dingle) set up.

By "single" do you mean you mean non-tandem crank or "single chainring"?
    1. You have nothing to lose.

2. Think about it for a moment.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Problem solved. I ordered some Problem Solvers 16mm chainring bolts and there was plenty of thread in the spider arm to hold it snug. I applied generous amounts of blue loctite. It seems to be holding strong.

Oddly, I was unable to find the loctite thread repair stuff at any of my local stores: Home Depot, Menards, Ace, Harbor Freight. No one had even heard of it.