Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Substitute rings for XTR 970?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  slcpunk 
#1 ·
I've already had to severely cut back on my racing this year because of money woes. Now I need new chainrings for my XTR M970 cranks. I don't think I can handle the cost of the replacement XTR middle and large chainrings. I've had decent luck with FSA rings on other bikes.

Anyone willing to recommend FSA, Shimano XT or Race Face rings on the XTR cranks? I don't mind if they wear out fast, as long as they work pretty much as good as the original XTR rings.

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure M770 XT and M970 XTR chainrings use the same template, just that XTR rings are Carbon/Ti rather than Carbon/Steel, so XTR weigh slightly less and wear much faster. TBH I think I'll replace my XTR chainrings with XT chainrings when the time comes.

#3 ·
fastitus said:
I've already had to severely cut back on my racing this year because of money woes. Now I need new chainrings for my XTR M970 cranks. I don't think I can handle the cost of the replacement XTR middle and large chainrings. I've had decent luck with FSA rings on other bikes.

Anyone willing to recommend FSA, Shimano XT or Race Face rings on the XTR cranks? I don't mind if they wear out fast, as long as they work pretty much as good as the original XTR rings.
Any update on this? I am in the same situation now, with an XTR crankset that's just a few months old. I can't stomach paying more for less (weight, durability).

#4 ·
For the larger and middle chainrings, you can use any chainrings with 104BCD.

You just need to careful of the granny ring. XTR 970 granny is thicker than normal chainrings, so you either use back a XTR granny or get some spacer to compensate the extra thickness.

#5 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried Wick Werks RR rings for their XTR 970? I've installed many of these in their older design and they shift great and are lighter than XTR. and not that expensive for a three ring set. but you have to use all three together because of the ramping. The also have one of the best hard anodize finish I've encountered. I don't have any stake in this company, just lots of positive experience with their rings.

http://www.wickwerks.com/products.html

#6 ·
I talked to Chris? at WickWercks - super nice. He said the Kenda team raced on his rings all last year.

You can also check out BlackSpire's new offering:

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/12749/445462/0/0/1

I added 3 rings to the cart, came to about 140 USD. Seems they have free shipping.

The wickwerks seem to be about the same ( $138 + shipping )

Hoping someone gets one or both of these and posts up some reports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.