mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Stylo+Superlight+1x9 MRP guide=fail...

I just got a new MRP 1X guide to go with my new superlight. In the process of installing the new guide, I put my BB back together and tried to slide my crank spindle all the way through so I could line up the chainring with the MRP. For some reason I couldn't get the spindle to go all the way through, so the chainring would not line up with the guide. I had the e13 ring where the middle ring used to be but it would not line up with the guide because the spindle would not go all the way through. Had the spindle gone all the way through on the drive side it would have lined up great. It was like the shaft of the spindle would stop on the BB bearing and go no further. Is there supposed to be an expose axle on the chainring side when these cranks are installed normally without a guide? I have never checked but it seems that is the only possible solution. I couldn't imagine how the BB bearing could have possibly shrank from the time I took it out and then later tried to put it back in. Really it is starting to look like the Stylo cranks and the MRP 1X guide do not belong on a superlight, if they do can some one please help me out or give me some advise.

mtbr member
    did you replace any spacers back in the correct configuration when re-installing the ds cup? it sounds like you haven't spaced the cup out far enough and don't have the 1x guide in the correct configuration with the spacers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Im pretty sure I did replace the spacers back to original configuration. One on each side, but on the drive side I used the MRP guide as a spacer.

mtbr member
    is the 1x mount the same thickness as the spacer you removed? my e*13 xcx guide came with two .5mm spacers since the mount itself is only 1.5mm thick and bb spacers are 2.5mm. what is the bb shell width on your bike? the 1x is not designed to work with stylos on 73mm shells.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The size of the spacer is the same thickness, and the BB size on a superlight is 68mm. Thanks for the help so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Got it figured out. PM me if you run into an issue like this!

mtbr member
    nice! so what was the issue? also - mind if i ask where you found your e*13 guide ring? i can't find one anywhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Got the guide ring from QBP, bike shop distributor. The issue was that part of the axle/spindle was supposed to be exposed. The spacing was right for the 68mm BB but I had to run another spacer on the non-drive side to get the MRP guide in check. This probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it worked for me.

mtbr member
    thanks, i'll have my shop order one up - bti has been out of 32t for a while.
    as long as it works and your chainline isn't whack it's all good. i have to run a single spacer on the nds and a full spacer + the e*13 spacers on the ds on my bike for the xcx to line up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looks like you got it.
    for 68 shell GXP crankset:

1 spacer on NDS
    chainguide on DS.
    that's it.
    You could even add a spacer on the DS but it would do nothing.
    Note this is in the instruction manual for future reference.

Gap between crankarm and BB on driveside is correct for GXP. If it's touching there's something wrong. This is a key difference in this assembly when compared to other brand's crankset systems.

GXP locates off the NDS bearing adapter assembly. That's why spacing the NDS adapter out altered your chainline. Altering the DS adapter has no influence unless you push it out too far, but then it's not assembled correctly.

You'll still likely need to adjust a chainguide slightly with any setup, the MRP 1x has washers/shims for this.

I had mixed results with the MRP 1X. Not much better than just using a front derailleur and one chainring. Keeping it from bouncing off the bottom is key for reliability.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    I'll play nice and chime in.

The Stylos have a significant allowance for e-type mounting on a 73mm BB shell. Semi-officially there is an additional 2.5mm of spacing allowance on the driveside for a backplate or whatnot...this still leaves that little gap. I've added up to an additional 1mm of spacers with no significant binding. Any more than that and you can have issues.
    I should also note that I used 09ish Stylo OCTs, and they are a proto model.