Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

stx RC shifter only shifting 1/2 the gears

770 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  squish 
#1 ·
tunning up a buddies mid/late 90's rockhopper so I can drag his arse out with me one of these days...

went to tunning the rear shifter and for some reason the shifter will only go from the bottom (small gear) to about 4 or 5 sporckets up... after that the shifter runs out of "ratcheting"

wondering if there is anything I can try to salvage the shifter or is it time to see whats in the back room at my LBS or check ebay?

figured you guys would know
thanks
mark

#2 ·
Ahhhh, the famous Shimano thick nasty grease. Pull the covers off and soak the shifter in some degreaser let it dry then soak it in tri flow. That should take care of your issues, we do it in the shop quite a bit provided the shifter just isn't plain shelled.

happy trails...

squish

#4 ·
Nah, skip the degreaser

squish said:
Ahhhh, the famous Shimano thick nasty grease. Pull the covers off and soak the shifter in some degreaser let it dry then soak it in tri flow. That should take care of your issues, we do it in the shop quite a bit provided the shifter just isn't plain shelled.

happy trails...

squish
It will probably do more harm that good. the problem with de-greasers is that they leave residue that will make any lube you put in there later break down. I used to get 300-500 miles out of a chain, but I started getting 700-1000 miles out of my chains once I stopped de-greasing them.... and yes, I rinsed them out really well after de-greasing.

I had the same issue. I just shot a bunch of TriFlow in there and it loosened right up. The shimano grease the other poster refers to is actually a pretty light grease, but gets thicker when it ages, dries out and gets dust in it.

Just aim the little tri-flow hose in the access port for the cable and shoot a bunch in there.... then rag up what drains out.

#5 ·
Just Tri Flow works too, but I like to degrease when i can if you use something like Clean Streak or Chain Bright then rinse it out with water it works really well with no residue. Blow it out with compressed air and your good to go. Either method works, but the more of the grease you can get out of there the better.

happy trails...

squish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.