mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Stupid 1x10 questions

I've been training recently on a singlespeed roadbike, and as such, found I'm using the granny less and less on the trails. So, to drop a little weight, I was thinking of doing a 1x10 setup. Right now I have a Shimano XTR med cage rear derailleur, XT front, on a FSA afterburner crank. My question is, do I need a front chain guide (read somehwhere you can get by without them...), and if so, can I just use the front derailleur during my trial period and just turn the adjustment screws in so it lines it (will it go that far?)? Also, do I just undo the bolts that hold the chainrings on, or is removing them more complicated than that?

Yes I tried a search, just couldn't get the terms right. A 1x10 FAQ thread would be great..

This is on a Alma 29er HT.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The front derailleur should work fine as a chain guide for your trial period. If you like it, I would suggest going with a chain guide where the big ring used to be (Salsa ring dinger works well) with an N-gear jump stop on the inside.

You may need shorter chain ring bolts to put it back together...your LBS should be able to hook you up with the right bolts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I used a Paul keeper on an old rocky mtn element frame, but my new Superfly is going to require a front DR mount keeper, and I recommend getting one, I would drop the chain pretty regularly on singletrack downhill when you weren't pedaling.

mtbr member
    Other options include e13 XCX (various incarnations) and MRP 1.x.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used to use dog fangs or third eyes and an outer chain guard on my 1x# bikes, including 'cross bikes, but like the others have mentioned, the MRP/Paul/e13 style has worked much better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Old thread guys but thanks. Wound up using a E.13 XC guide. Selling all my old drivetrain stuff since I liked it so much and swapped to an X.0. short cage derailleur.

mtbr member
    I've looked all around and can't find one, probably because most don't need it, but does anyone make a keeper that would work with a small chainring on a bike that does not have a traditional round seat tube and therefore uses E Type mounted front derailleurs?

For more extreme terrain riding on a big bike you need a small ring (24) but not a middle ring, unless you live in the mountains where there are long steep downhills. Then you really need 2 or 3 rings.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Old thread guys but thanks. Wound up using a E.13 XC guide. Selling all my old drivetrain stuff since I liked it so much and swapped to an X.0. short cage derailleur.
    Have one on order also. Hope it works well!!??

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Works great!

mtbr member
    BBG sandwich works well on my 1x9 and it's cheap. I don't believe it will work on a 2x10 crank though. If it's a 3x10 crank, you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    I've looked all around and can't find one, probably because most don't need it, but does anyone make a keeper that would work with a small chainring on a bike that does not have a traditional round seat tube and therefore uses E Type mounted front derailleurs?

For more extreme terrain riding on a big bike you need a small ring (24) but not a middle ring, unless you live in the mountains where there are long steep downhills. Then you really need 2 or 3 rings.
    Yes, e13 makes an e-type version of the XCX guide

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Yes I have seen that. But without some kind of modifications, if you look at the scale, it only goes down to 34 tooth. I need 24 tooth.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Yes I have seen that. But without some kind of modifications, if you look at the scale, it only goes down to 34 tooth. I need 24 tooth.
    Sorry, I forgot about that part. I don't actually know of any chainguide for any system that goes that small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    I am going to do the same thing with an X9 short cage RD. What size cassette and front ring are you using with the short cage? Any issues?