mtbr member

Stumped on chain skipping.

Wednesday night I broke my chain while grinding up a hill. It was the chain that came with the bike, so I went to my lbs and bought a new sram chain. Upon installing the chain I noticed a lot of skipping in gears 3&4 the others all seem fine.
    The skipping happens when I'm really putting power to it. Took it in to the lbs and we swapped out cable and housing because it was a little rough. Still skipping.
    Found a bent tooth on my big chain ring (2x8 setup). Replaced the ring and it still skips.
    After checking alignment, lubing, and adjusting tension it still skips. We started throwing parts at it. New rd, pulled the cassette and looked at it, but couldn't see anything. Left it at the lbs hoping they can sort it out quickly.
    I'm frustrated, but can't stay enough about my lbs. They stopped what they were doing to help me, even let me put on the new ring and do some other work while they were helping other folks.
    Anyone else have a similar issue with really bad skipping in just one or two gears? It doesn't look like it's trying to shift gears, just skipping a tooth.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Probably those 2 gears are worn on the cassette. That's what I'd try first (new cassette).

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You need to change the cassette and possibly the chain rings. You can't replace just a chain by itself unless you do it way before it shows wear

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member

Re: Stumped on chain skipping.

The crank is fairly new. (<300 miles) we did replace the big ring. Cassette only has about 200 miles on it. The lbs guys didn't think either showed much wear at all. We guessed the bent tooth on the chain ring was from when I broke the chain. When I left he was getting ready to try a new cassette even though we thought it looked ok.
    I told him if it was another cassette I needed to think about moving up to 9 speed. That would be my second cassette in one year.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sometimes a new chain on a slightly worn cassette takes a little while to "bed in" and skips a bit whist it's doing this. I'm curious why they switched derailleurs, unless it was beat up and not functioning (shifting), a derailleur is not going to cause skipping in the rear. Would be pretty obvious and it sounds like they are taking you for a ride to some extent. Since you are talking about "moving up" to 9spd, I assume these are relatively low-end components? I'd be careful that something wasn't crossed at some point and they used 9 or 10spd components (chain?) where they should have used 8 or 9?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Re: Stumped on chain skipping.

No, I did the chain myself, just bought it there. It's 8 spd sram.
    They haven't actually sold me a der. at all. After trying everything else we wondered if the rd was a little tweaked, so we put on a new one to double check. It didn't help, so put old one back on. I had to get home, but they were going to try the cassette next.
    I'm the one who wanted nine speed. If I'm gonna have to buy a new cassette or r.d. I'd like to move up to better components, and that's getting hard to do in 8 spd. I'd go to 10 but don't want to have to buy another new crank.

Edit: der spring was a little weak, but that isn't my current problem.

mtbr member
    So, you guys were right. I know, I know...never question the MTBR gurus.

After they cleaned it up really well you could see the burs that had formed on several cogs. Replaced the cassette and it's good to go. Wish they would have called before doing the work. I probably would have told them to just upgrade me to 9 speed and get a better cassette.
    Oh, well. At the rate I'm going I'll have this cassette torn up before the season is over. Give me more time to save up...maybe upgrade bike instead of parts.