Thread: Stiff link

Formerly DMR For Life

Stiff link

After a fall Saturday in which my RD gor stuck in my spokes, my chain started skipping even when i wasn't pushing hard (cage on the RD seemd straight), when i got home i discovered that i had a stiff link in my chain so i tried to work it loose but it just remain tight... its a Sram X.9 RD with Sram 9-speed chain(can't remember which one) and the link that is stiff is no where near the powerlink...so here's my question is there anything i can do other than work it by hand and see if it loosens up?
    thanks
    DMR

All 26.5" all the time!
    Many chain breaking tools out there have two places for the chain to rest. One is for pushing the pin out, the other is used for side-loading the chain to loosen stiff links.

Check here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=53

mechmann_mtb
    i have had the same thing happen with my Sram PC99 chain. the way i fixed it was to take the link that was sticking apart and in doing so i found a metal burr right around the outside of the link. i used my dremel tool and a cutting wheel to polish out the burr and after re-assembling it was smooth as butter.

Formerly DMR For Life
    thanks i always wondered why they put that there...now i know...i'll try this out tomorrow
    DMR