mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Sticky X9 rear shifter help

I am looking at a 2011 10 speed X9 shifter for a mate that the lever wont return when you shift down. You can pull it back into position no problem but thats hardly its intended function.
    The cable has been changed, internals lubed with spray but still no luck.
    I suspect the bike has seen one hell of a mud bath lately as there is evidence of red mud in every nook and cranny despite the bike generally being clean

I am reluctant to strip and check the internals as I know springs can go in all directions.

Anybody got a link to video or an exploded diagram?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My mate tried to pull one of those apart and they are a bit of a nightmare to get back together very fiddly.

here is a video we followed to get it back together

SRAM trigger shifter spring assembly x9 - YouTube

be warned getting the springs back is enough to test the patience of a saint - there are very few jobs on a bike that I won't try again but would think really hard about attempting this again

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    My mate tried to pull one of those apart and they are a bit of a nightmare to get back together very fiddly.

here is a video we followed to get it back together

SRAM trigger shifter spring assembly x9 - YouTube

be warned getting the springs back is enough to test the patience of a saint - there are very few jobs on a bike that I won't try again but would think really hard about attempting this again
    My point exactly.
    I found that video in my searches and while it may offer some help it is of a 9 speed shifter not the newer 10 speed.
    Thanks for the reply though

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would try loosening the rear plate but not taking it off then fire a whole can of WD40 or something through it to try and free it up rather than taking it apart.

Is the 10 speed that much different from the 9 speed version? I had a 10 speed X0 it was definitely more bling but didn't look like a completely different design to the 9 speed when I cabled it up

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    I would try loosening the rear plate but not taking it off then fire a whole can of WD40 or something through it to try and free it up rather than taking it apart.

Is the 10 speed that much different from the 9 speed version? I had a 10 speed X0 it was definitely more bling but didn't look like a completely different design to the 9 speed when I cabled it up
    The 10 speed cable is changed via a port on the top cover, you donot remove the top cover at all [there is no silver star nut]
    It looks like the top of the 10 speed is designed completely different with no easy access to the internals

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah you're right - my bad - it was a few months ago when I set that up and have sold the bike on now. Most of my other stuff is all shimano

reading comprehension wat
    I had that happen to me once. Found that the lever was bent "upwards" and was getting caught on the release lever. I just simply bent it back downwards.