mtbr member
    Apr 2008

stick took out the rear der

I was on a nice ride today.....and a stick catches the bottom jockey wheel pulling the der into the spokes, and causing my to stop my ride for ~5 min as i get the der out of the spokes. Now my issue is that the jockey wheels are no longer Parallel to the casette. I was also getting ghost shifting however i think that was caused simply from it being out of adjustment (i adjusted it tonight and will ride tomorrow)

Now my question is, should i adjust the der so it still functions and continue riding. Or should i replace my x7 with a new x7.

Has anyone else every had this problem

I am a work in progress
    I was on a trail with my dad several years ago. I was out in front and he was right on my heels. Well, he said he saw me hit the stick and knew exactly what was going to happen, but that he didn't have time to do anything. The stick was thrown by my back tire and went right into is RD and snapped it off the frame. He was on a Toys R Us Pacific bike, reason #349384 why NOT to buy a department store bike. He had a nice walk back the truck.

To your question, if it still works I wouldn't replace it, unless it gets annoying with more ghosting and you cannot get rid of it.
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

The question is whether the derailleur itself is bent or if it's the derailleur hanger. Derailleur hanger can be straightened fairly easily (with the correct tool, which can also check its alignment), but not so easily for a bent cage on a derailleur.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dude today while I was riding, a stick took out my rear derailleur! It was from an evergreen tree and it went into the bottom sproket, broke my rear derailleur hanger. Bike is down for the count, but my new drivetrain is going in and my shadow RD, which should resolve this.

Quote Originally Posted by xmangox
    Dude today while I was riding, a stick took out my rear derailleur! It was from an evergreen tree and it went into the bottom sproket, broke my rear derailleur hanger. Bike is down for the count, but my new drivetrain is going in and my shadow RD, which should resolve this.
    Shadow won't do sh*t about a stick taking out your derailleur. It does give a slimmer profile so you don't bash it into stuff you shouldn't in the first place, like threading between rocks and stuff, but a stick in your spokes will still take that sucker out.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    As the Bikinfool said, a hanger repair is fairly straightforward. If the Rd itself is bent it's probably toast, but if it isn't seriously bent, and it's mostly the cage. You might be able to get it straight and working if you have good hands. As it is you have nothing to lose.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uncomplientspud
    I was on a nice ride today.....and a stick catches the bottom jockey wheel pulling the der into the spokes.....Has anyone else every had this problem
    Same thing happended to me a couple weeks back. My cage got bent but I just straightened it out and readjusted the derailleur. It is a little more noisy now than before and the shifting is not quite as crisp, but it works fine. Good enough until it really gets broken for replacment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uncomplientspud
    I was on a nice ride today.....and a stick catches the bottom jockey wheel pulling the der into the spokes, and causing my to stop my ride for ~5 min as i get the der out of the spokes. Now my issue is that the jockey wheels are no longer Parallel to the casette. I was also getting ghost shifting however i think that was caused simply from it being out of adjustment (i adjusted it tonight and will ride tomorrow)

Now my question is, should i adjust the der so it still functions and continue riding. Or should i replace my x7 with a new x7.

Has anyone else every had this problem
    From your description, that sounds like a bent d hanger. As others said, it can be unbent (with the right tool) or, if its really bad, most d hangers these days are replacible sub-units of the dropout.
    Don't just try to adjust the shifting to compensate. Well, do, on the trail, to get home, but once you get home, fix it for real. With a visibly bent hanger or deraileur, it is IMPOSSIBLE to adjust the shifting so that all gears engage cleanly. In fact, on most 9 speed systems, even a non-visible bend can throw shifting off for a couple gears.

As for others having that problem- well, they make a special tool to fix it, and design bike frames so that wost-case scenarios can be addressed by replacing a sacrificial part. Its not always a stick that does it, but yeah, I've gotten stuff in my derailuer.
    You are lucky- when I get something riding up my chain into my rear der, I tend to rip the whole thing clean off the bike frame, rather than just bending it a little. Half the time the resulted mass of mangled metal goes into the rear wheel's spokes and damges them too, as well as locking up the rotation and causing me to crash.
    Not that it happens often. I can only recall three times I've done that in 20 years, and only one of those was caused by a stick (the others were caused by a snapped chain and a bent hanger allowing the der to contact the spokes).
    Bent der hangers tend to be caused by simple crashes. In fact, its something you should always check after a crash; on of my ripper up derailuers happened just after a crash, because I didn't notice my derailuer was tweeked in far enough to contact the spokes when I shifted to the largest cog.