mtbr member

Steel vs. Al Alloy crankset chainrings

What are the do's and don'ts?

Can I use steel 22T & 44T and al-alloy 32T
    or vice versa?

What could go wrong ...
    actually it is pretty standard on factory cranks to have a steel granny and AL mid and big ring ... you probably wouldnt want an AL granny as it would wear out pretty quickly
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Thanks, other than a weight weenie response, I was thinking of getting a steel big ring. Both are the same price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mine came with steel granny and middle, and aluminum large.

I'm thinking there would be a significant weight difference between a steel and aluminum 42. Do you really use the large ring all that much? Also, the wear is distributed over a lot of teeth, so it may outlast your steel middle and small.

I converted to 2x using a Raceface Turbine 24/36 set, both aluminum. I have only put about 500 miles on them, but so far they look like new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Mine came with steel granny and middle, and aluminum large.

I'm thinking there would be a significant weight difference between a steel and aluminum 42. Do you really use the large ring all that much? Also, the wear is distributed over a lot of teeth, so it may outlast your steel middle and small.

I converted to 2x using a Raceface Turbine 24/36 set, both aluminum. I have only put about 500 miles on them, but so far they look like new.
    1) What Drivetrain do you have?
    2) I use the 44T fairly well since its teeth are starting to look like shark fins, so will a steel 44T stretch a aluminum CN-7701 or should I get a steel chain and cassette (im not a weight weenie, but I also suspect my freehub should be steel in this case also)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It came from the factory with a non-series Shimano crank -- I have been told it is roughly XT grade -- it has Hollowtech II written on it.

FD was 3-speed SLX and is now 2-speed XTR.

The rear derailleur was XT Shadow non-plus and the cassette was SLX. I now have a Shadow plus RD and an XT cassette.

The chain is KMC.

I haven't been at this too long, but wasn't aware that there are aluminum chains or cassettes. I think some of the high-end cassettes use titanium on some or all of their cogs.

KMC makes a chain with hollow pins and slots cut in the side plates, but the weight savings is surprisingly small -- about an ounce. However, I got their best 10-speed chain direct from Taiwan for about $35 delivered so went for it -- it supposedly lasts longer. I have about 1100 miles and at .25% wear. I use a dry lube, but worry more about keeping it clean than how well it is lubed.

FYI My 36-tooth al ring weighs exactly the same as the 32-tooth steel 63 grams. However the Raceface ring is beefier and has several actual ramps -- not just pins -- to help it shift. The steel 24-tooth was 44 grams. The al one is 22. My al 42 weighs 77 grams.

Anyway, if you use your big ring a lot, I don't see how you could go wrong with steel. Hopefully someone with more experience will comment on how steel vs aluminum rings wear. I am interested too.