mtbr member
    Aug 2004

standard drive 2x8- anything I should be aware of?

I'm going to remove my big ring (46) and run just my granny(26) and middle ring(36) with XTR rear and front derailleurs, 11-32 cog and Sachs shifters. Is there anything that won't work about this setup, or that I should be aware of ?

thanks

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

chain length

Quote Originally Posted by moondoggy
    I'm going to remove my big ring (46) and run just my granny(26) and middle ring(36) with XTR rear and front derailleurs, 11-32 cog and Sachs shifters. Is there anything that won't work about this setup, or that I should be aware of ?

thanks
    shift into the big ring/big cog and note the tightness and position of the rear derailleur cage. when you remove the big ring, shorten the chain so you achieve the same amount of chain/cage tightness when on the middle ring and big rear cog. that way you can use all your gears including the rear cogs with the granny ring, without the chain being almost limp in the smaller cogs. with one-third fewer choices, it's nice to have all the available gears count.
    I got a 24/34 double with an 11-34 in back on a drop-bar mtb I ride a lot. It's nice, just high enough (81") to get to and from the trailheads, and I'm never stuck wondering whether I should stick in the middle ring or go to the granny ring. With just two rings, the granny does doubleduty as a granny and as a middle, depending on the rear cog selected. ditto the 34t ring, it's a middle ring and a big ring all in one, depending on whether I'm using the smaller or larger cogs with it. I like it. you will too.
    I guess you could also move the front derailleur down, unless you're using a toothless big ring guard the derailleur needs to clear. but sometimes if you move the cage too low the back end of the cage will actually hit the chainstay. If it shifts fine on all rings with the big ring there, it should shift equally fine without the big ring there, so moving the cage down is kinda optional.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks bulC for the info and respsonse,

I'm not sure why it took me so long to figure out that I only effectively use about 12 gears with my current gearing -24/34/46 x 12-32 . I never use the 24 and occasionally get into the big ring. Getting bigger middle and granny rings and dropping the big ring altogether will give me the gears I need with a lighter and simpler drive train- what a revelation.

It's makes nine speed drivetrains even more ridiculous...

thanks again