Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    A buddy and I bought 2 sets off e-bay about a month ago and it is absolutely amazing stuff, very quiet and very crisp shifting, It blows away the 2x10 stuff I had. My local bike shop was saying it wouldn't be out until mid January, so I found it on my own. You will not be dissapointed.

mtbr member
    Hello You experts in drivetrains and transmission in general.
    I'm a weak mechanic, so i would like to know if it is possible to mix a XX1 gripshift and XX1 rear derailleur with a cassette, crank and chain from a 2x10 drivetrain.
    I need to change those pieces now, the rest will be changed when needed to be full XX1.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VICpt View Post
    I'm a weak mechanic, so i would like to know if it is possible to mix a XX1 gripshift and XX1 rear derailleur with a cassette, crank and chain from a 2x10 drivetrain.
    I need to change those pieces now, the rest will be changed when needed to be full XX1.
    Thanks
    XX1 parts all use a new tooth profile. You're much better off waiting until you can get the full kit. I'd hate to see what happened the first time you accidentally shifted to that 11th gear that wasn't there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Got my package today, already installed. Trying the gripshift first - you basically shift by thought, lol.

The 156Q-factor is pretty narrow - had to crack the plastic cadence Garmin magnet holder and take the magnet out, and tape it to the crank arm - as otherwise it was touching the chainstay (just barely but still). But yeah, definitely narrower than the X5 crank I had there before.

Great product, let's hope they make enough for everybody and not just for the eBay seller guys. And that the distributors don't change quantities after they promise them to shops. Easy, right?

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Wondering if you can run a XX1 crank with a XO Type 2 rear derailleur, 10 spd cassette, 10 spd trigger shifter and a 10 spd chain.
    Anyone running this or something close?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    Wondering if you can run a XX1 crank with a XO Type 2 rear derailleur, 10 spd cassette, 10 spd trigger shifter and a 10 spd chain.
    Anyone running this or something close?
    Take a look at the chainring in the pic above. I can't imagine that working all too well with a conventional chain...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks
    No.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks
    there was a whole thread about this and think the answer was actually yes, check it out: http://forums.mtbr.com//sram/sram-xx...ed-818475.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ypocat View Post
    there was a whole thread about this and think the answer was actually yes, check it out: http://forums.mtbr.com//sram/sram-xx...ed-818475.html
    That thread was about using an xx1 crankset with a 1x10 setup, not trying to run the xx1 shifter/derailleur with a 10sp cassette. Quite a bit different from what VICpt is asking about. Like Shiggy mentioned above, the answer would be no.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Take a look at the chainring in the pic above. I can't imagine that working all too well with a conventional chain...
    SRAM XX1 cranks and 10 speed

Stumbled upon this, answering my questions. Looks like a xx1 crank, 10 spd cassette, 10 spd shifter, 10 or 11 spd chain and most importantly a type 2 clutch rear derailleur will work.
    Apparently the inner width is the same on 10 and 11 spd chains, although I read suggestions to run the 11 spd chain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Im looking at getting xx1 for my new yeti build but in england I cannot find anyone with 1q speex powerlinks!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Can anyone from Sram chime in here? When are you releasing more XX1 full kits? QBP is out, most online retailers are out, LBS's are out. I can go buy a derailleur and a cassette, but I can't imagine anyone just needing that stuff yet. Full kits are what we need. Thank you in advance for any insight. Oh, and I'm not talking about the BB30 version or the 156 Q factor version. Those are out, but definitely not in as high of demand. 168 Q-factor, with a trigger shifter is what I'm after, and all my riding buddies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Got my package today, already installed. Trying the gripshift first - you basically shift by thought, lol.

The 156Q-factor is pretty narrow - had to crack the plastic cadence Garmin magnet holder and take the magnet out, and tape it to the crank arm - as otherwise it was touching the chainstay (just barely but still). But yeah, definitely narrower than the X5 crank I had there before.

Great product, let's hope they make enough for everybody and not just for the eBay seller guys. And that the distributors don't change quantities after they promise them to shops. Easy, right?
    I agree the 156Q is pretty narrow, but obviously it depends on your frame. On my Santa Cruz Highball carbon frame (hardtail) I still have ~1cm between the rubber crank boots (RaceFace, I added) and the chainstays. Glad I got the 156Q though, because the 168Q would have had a huge gap....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

+1. Should be easy, but bike companies love to create the illusion of demand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2