mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Sram XX1 Questions

I run 1x9 on my 2009 Trek Fuel EX 8...I was thinking of upgrading the crank (Shimano Hollowtec type) and saw the Sram XX1 line.

I was wondering if I can just switch out the Shimano crank for the Sram XX1 but keep my same rear derailleur and cassette (which is a Shimano XT short cage, and a Sram PG-990).

I wonder how they are keeping the chain on the crank/chainring with the XX1 setup since Sram promotional info doesn't show any retaining systems (I'm using a bashwich).

Anyone with the XX1 have any info in this regard?

What could go wrong ...
    "I wonder how they are keeping the chain on the crank/chainring with the XX1"

some good info here SRAM XX1 1x11 drivetrain details
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram XX1 Questions-teeth-1-.jpg  

I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Sram XX1 Questions

Good read. Thanks! I wonder if it would work by just putting the crank and ring on keeping my same 9sp cassette and XT rear derailleur....to keep costs down.

more carbon=more awesome
    For now just keep your cranks and try a Wolftooth Components chainring. See the thread on them in this forum.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Everything-rider
    Does anyone know if the XX1 chainring fits the SRAM X5 Crankset? Where in Europe could I get a Wolftooth chainring?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jm-lh View Post
    Does anyone know if the XX1 chainring fits the SRAM X5 Crankset? Where in Europe could I get a Wolftooth chainring?
    Race Face has come out with a XX1 style 104BCD chain ring (wide/narrow). They will even have a 30T 104BCD version of this.

Race Face 2013

I don't know if I would trust XX1 or these wide/narrow chain rings to keep my chain on, would still look at using a bbg bashwich to ensure chain retention.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hmm, my bike came with a 2x10 SRAM S1000 crank 24/38, SRAM X9 Type 2 rear derailure. Im having my rear derailure changed out via warranty however they dont haev it in stock so sram is sending me an X0. Will the X0 work on the 11 cog cassette?

My goal is to go to one gear up front with 11 cogs in the back and looking how to go about it with out changing everything to an xx1?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJ Jedi View Post
    Hmm, my bike came with a 2x10 SRAM S1000 crank 24/38, SRAM X9 Type 2 rear derailure. Im having my rear derailure changed out via warranty however they dont haev it in stock so sram is sending me an X0. Will the X0 work on the 11 cog cassette?

My goal is to go to one gear up front with 11 cogs in the back and looking how to go about it with out changing everything to an xx1?

To answer your question and the OP's question. No - a 9 speed derailleur and the X0 derailleur won't work. Why? because they are not "Clutch type".

Q: What does that mean?
    A:Shimano and Sram both have new "Clutch" type derailleurs that minimise chain slap. They are called Shadow Plus and Type 2 respectively.

Q: How does it work?
    A: Clutch derailleurs work by stiffening the spring on the derailleur minimizing the spring movement thus keeping tension on the chain even through extremely violent bumps.

Additionally, the front chain ring plays a factor in keeping the chain from coming off by using longer teeth and a clever tooth design. Put the two together (the "Clutch" derailleur and the funny Chainring) you get a pretty reliable system that keeps the chain on the bike and allows a 1X setup without the use of chain guides. The key to the setup however is the "Clutch" derailleur. Having just front the chainring will not work.

Edit: Wolftooth Components work well. They are a bit pricy but very well made. I have them on my bike. I'd be curious to see the Race Face version turn out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ah, so my x9 thats being removed does have a clutch and the X0 they installing wont have one. I guess i can put something up front to hold the chain in. My main goal is one sprocket up front and 11 in the back. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ah, so my x9 thats being removed does have a clutch and the X0 they installing wont have one. I guess i can put something up front to hold the chain in. My main goal is one sprocket up front and 11 in the back. Any suggestions?
    I would wait for them to replace your RD with a clutch version. They are the future.

mtbr member
    There are X0 Type 2 derailleurs also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Im going to guess that TYPE 2 means clutch? Im sure /home sram sends me a clutched x0 then.

mtbr member

Re: Sram XX1 Questions

Im going to guess that TYPE 2 means clutch? Im sure /home sram sends me a clutched x0 then.
    Yes, type 2 refers to the clutch derailleurs.

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    I run a 1x9 with the wolf tooth chainring on my bike with a non clutch long cage xt RD and still haven't dropped a chain over 500 miles.

Everything-rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    I run a 1x9 with the wolf tooth chainring on my bike with a non clutch long cage xt RD and still haven't dropped a chain over 500 miles.
    Sounds very much like what I have in mind. Any chain device? And does anyone know where I can get the wolf tooth chainrings in Europe?

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Thought I would have to shorten the chain after coming off a 3x9, but I rode it without to see how it was and chain retention seemed fine. I probably did have my chain a tad short for the triple. Just have to ride to see how it is. If wolf tooth doesn't ship to Europe, I have heard wiggle has the new race face chainrings that have the narrow/wide.

Everything-rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    [] If wolf tooth doesn't ship to Europe, I have heard wiggle has the new race face chainrings that have the narrow/wide.
    Am I right in my believe they sell via their own website? Or do they also offer it through any retailers? I will check wiggle now for the Race Face rings. Thanks!

ride all day
    Sep 2011

Sram XX1 Questions

Yes, correct they only sell through their own website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Does any other 11 speed chain work with the XX1 group or does it have to be the SRAM XX1 chain only?