Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sram xx1 1x 11

dwt
    mtbr member

Sram xx1 1x 11

Apologies if this had already been posted up; didn't find the thread

Video: Developing SRAM's New XX1 Component Group | News | Mobile
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

29er
    Apr 2010
    can't wait

banned
    May 2012
    Looking forward to buying the front sprocket at the min. Hopefully they'll have a 38t out soon

29er
    Apr 2010
    WOW, that new front chainring is trick

derp
    I'm pretty interested on this but i really don't like the 42t sprocket ... a 38t would be fine for me, really wondering if this setup will be any lighter than my current 1x9spd setup.
    I bet this will be expensive as f**k to upgrade too, i really wish that we'll be able to change the rear components first and then the front, my wallet would apreciate that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    interested on this but i really don't like the 42t sprocket ... a 38t would be fine for me, really wondering if this setup will be any lighter than my current 1x9spd setup.
    Probably not much, unless you don't run carbon cranks. It is not aimed at being lighter, but an evolution of 1x.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    I bet this will be expensive as f**k to upgrade too, i really wish that we'll be able to change the rear components first and then the front, my wallet would apreciate that.
    I cannot see why you couldn't upgrade step-by-step.

What I want to know though, is whether that know looking cassette/drive mechanism is compatible with existing wheels? Looks to me like the unit replaces the freehub? Would that work with any wheel? Or am I just being stoopid?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I must say that the system looks great, but it is going to cost a fortune!

The XX1 cassette, 650gm crank, fancy chain, new 11 spd shifter.... all i can see is a massive hole in my wallet.

Tribe Member
    There will be no option to piece meal this together. It's 11 speed only. Must have the fancy chainring, shifters, cassette, chain and rear der.
    You know that they will use some weird bolt pattern for the chainring and since it also holds the chain from slipping, nobody is going to have a replacement for it anytime soon.
    It did appear on the video though that they will have a wide range of chainrings available.

I just chuckle when looking at the cassette. I run a 42t big ring on my XTR crankset and that is the bail out gear.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    What I want to know though, is whether that know looking cassette/drive mechanism is compatible with existing wheels? Looks to me like the unit replaces the freehub? Would that work with any wheel? Or am I just being stoopid?
    DT Swiss star ratchet system (sweet) and Sram upper level wheels only to date.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c3024446 View Post
    I must say that the system looks great, but it is going to cost a fortune!

The XX1 cassette, 650gm crank, fancy chain, new 11 spd shifter.... all i can see is a massive hole in my wallet.
    Spend grocery money on drivetrain > stop eating > lose weight

Voila! Weight loss!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah its going to be spendy, and it's SRAM I wonder if those chainrings are standrd bolt pattern, to fit on Shimano cranks with bashgaurd?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
    DT Swiss star ratchet system (sweet) and Sram upper level wheels only to date.
    Crap.

Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    There will be no option to piece meal this together. It's 11 speed only. Must have the fancy chainring, shifters, cassette, chain and rear der.
    Had a senior moment. Took a while to realise it would be a new chain. Doh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    compering to 2x10 the 1x11 looses one gear and as SRAM will offer several front rings, you can choose which one.

1x11 is nice, but I just have a new 2x10..... so maybe after two years I'll thing about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by masm71 View Post
    compering to 2x10 the 1x11 looses one gear and as SRAM will offer several front rings, you can choose which one.

1x11 is nice, but I just have a new 2x10..... so maybe after two years I'll thing about it.
    ????

You can choose where your 11 speed (no overlap) range falls in comparison to a 2x10 range but how many ratios you effectively loose is completely dependant on your current setup vs new 11 sp setup.

I'd say you have a flawed setup if you are running 2x10 with only a 12 sp effective range.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    No way I'm giving up a King hub to downgrade to sram pawls or dt ratchets.

The crank is sweet. But you can accomplish something sleeker looking by using x0 cranks with the one piece mrp rings. I guess not having to remove the crank to change the ring is nice, although I'd never bother to do it.

mtbr member
    I ride 1x9, Bike came with shimano xt. (Haro Beasley 650B) I have not been pleased with the xt, Cable changeouts, constant adjustments, ghosts, and worse is having to pause when single gear shift made to varify it won't pop back.
    Everything about the bike fits me but the drivetrain. For me it would change the whole outlook of the bike with this Sram-11. I'm wondering cost, and will (MUST) try-demo the gripshift which I don't prefer, or the trigger shift to varify which is truly better. A plus is the ring choices, Less bikehike and better high gear. Maybe a Christmas gift. (But not until you gear heads review) All in all I'm excited and hoping for a real review, I'm a bit distrusting of a review from a Sram guy. No disrespect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cost is already out there. The whole group is 1449 msrp

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by broeli View Post
    Cost is already out there. The whole group is 1499 msrp
    Plus a new rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Plus a new rear wheel.
    Just a cassette driver body. Srm sent out the specs to all major hub manufacturers..so its only a matter of time before a good amount of hub manufactures make a new driver body available..especially if the 1x11 turns out to be a hit. Personally I like the idea for my xc racing setup. I just dont want to spend over 1500 for everything needed

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho View Post
    I ride 1x9, Bike came with shimano xt. (Haro Beasley 650B) I have not been pleased with the xt, Cable changeouts, constant adjustments, ghosts, and worse is having to pause when single gear shift made to varify it won't pop back.
    Everything about the bike fits me but the drivetrain. For me it would change the whole outlook of the bike with this Sram-11. I'm wondering cost, and will (MUST) try-demo the gripshift which I don't prefer, or the trigger shift to varify which is truly better. A plus is the ring choices, Less bikehike and better high gear. Maybe a Christmas gift. (But not until you gear heads review) All in all I'm excited and hoping for a real review, I'm a bit distrusting of a review from a Sram guy. No disrespect.
    My experience with 1x 9 is much better. Much less finicky to adjust than my road 10 speed. The best thing about the 1 X 11 is the chainring selection. You can set it up for any wheel size and be comfy with the gearing. Hope it's easy to adjust and is mud proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by taiter View Post
    ????

You can choose where your 11 speed (no overlap) range falls in comparison to a 2x10 range but how many ratios you effectively loose is completely dependant on your current setup vs new 11 sp setup.

I'd say you have a flawed setup if you are running 2x10 with only a 12 sp effective range.

I try to say that you lose one gear on top or bottom range.... of course in the middle you lose more in paper but in reality not so many.
    I have Shimano 26/38 in the front and cassette is 11-36. Even if there is one overlapping which means I have 19 different gears.
    But in reality it is not the case as I'm sure you don't feel the difference if the ratio is 1.06 (how many times the rear wheel turn when the crank has made one full turn) from 1.08 or 1.36 to 1.37
    Even the ratios difference 1.19 to 1.24 or 1.53 to 1.58 it is difficult to feel the difference.
    So I would say that with 2x10 you have 15 different gears.

1x11 against 2x10 with possibility to change the front ring according your ride…. I personally think it will be a hit. I just hope in two years Shimano will follow, so when my 2x10 is worn out I’ll change to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm gonna hold out for the 1x15
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    May 2011
    me too

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I really wish they had gone more aggressive and gone down smaller than a 10 tooth small gear on the cassette. 2x10 24-38 with an 11-36 is just about perfect for me. I really want a 1x11 but going with XX1 I'd lose a lot of gears either at the bottom or the top which wont really work for the races I want to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    $1500 - cripes!

I could just about do 1x10 if there was a cassette with a bit wider range than 11-36 (I'm in terrible shape - 38 or 40 teeth on the upper end would be nice). Until then, I'm pretty happy with 2x10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast