mtbr member

SRAM XX untrue spider/rings

I ordered a Specialized crank with XX spider/rings from my LBS. When it came in and they installed it they found the XX spider/rings had a wobble. When they talked to SRAM they said it must have been a defect and sent out a second one. When it came in it had the same problem but even worse. SRAM said that they must have had a bad batch but one was manufactured in Nov and one in Jan. Seems if they were putting untrue sets out for that long more people would be complaining. Has anyone else had this problem?

Plays with tools
    Sure it wasn't the crank? Did your shop rotate the ring to see if the runout moved with the ring or stayed in the same spot?

mtbr member
    I assume they checked the crank. I haven't been there when they had it assembled but did see the video they sent to SRAM and it is very noticeable. From what they told me SRAM isn't really denying that they had a problem but did seem surprised when the replacement had issues.

mtbr member
    We are now on ring set #4 from SRAM and another set of cranks from specialized. All of them have the same issue and when you put the rings on a flat surface you can tell they aren't true. SRAM still believes it's there fault and are now sending out an XX crankset just to get me back on my bike hopefully they'll let me keep it. They plan to have a technician come with new parts to work with the shop to figure out what is going on. I can't believe that if they had this many sets with run out issues that more people wouldn't be complaining.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

SRAM XX untrue spider/rings

Another solution would be get the Lightning adaptor 104bcd & get a Wolftooth or others for a chainring. Myself & my brother went this route & are very pleased with the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD