mtbr member
    Aug 2015

SRAM XX Shifter/Derailleur Not Shifting to Lowest Gear (largest cassette cog)

Hi Folks,

I have a 2011 Spesh S-works Epic 29er. It has the SRAM XX Drivetrain, but modified a bit when I converted a while back to 1x10 from 2x10. With the 1x10 conversion, I just changed out the crankset to an XX1 crank with 32T Narrow wide chainring.

I recently changed the cable on the rear derailleur and I've noticed that after setting my high and low limits and adjusting the cable tension (using the barrel adjuster on the shifter) I can only shift smoothly through the highest 9 gears (from 11T to 32T). When I try to shift into the largest cog (36T) my shifter doesn't click...it allows me to advance the derailleur so that the chain does actually hop up onto the largest cog, but when I take my finger off the shifter paddle, the derailleur (and thus, the chain) return to 32T. I've noticed that I CAN adjust the cable tension with the barrel adjuster enough so that I fix this problem, but doing this creates the reverse problem: I can shift smoothly up and down between 12T and 36T, but can't get the chain to shift all the way down to the highest gear (11T).

As far as I can tell from visual inspection, my derailleur hanger and derailleur arm appear straight, so I'm at a loss. Based on what I've experienced in all of this, it feels like I might have a problem with my shifter when trying to get it to actuate to the highest-tension setting, but I'm not sure how to diagnose this.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBendy View Post
    Hi Folks,

I have a 2011 Spesh S-works Epic 29er. It has the SRAM XX Drivetrain, but modified a bit when I converted a while back to 1x10 from 2x10. With the 1x10 conversion, I just changed out the crankset to an XX1 crank with 32T Narrow wide chainring.

I recently changed the cable on the rear derailleur and I've noticed that after setting my high and low limits and adjusting the cable tension (using the barrel adjuster on the shifter) I can only shift smoothly through the highest 9 gears (from 11T to 32T). When I try to shift into the largest cog (36T) my shifter doesn't click...it allows me to advance the derailleur so that the chain does actually hop up onto the largest cog, but when I take my finger off the shifter paddle, the derailleur (and thus, the chain) return to 32T. I've noticed that I CAN adjust the cable tension with the barrel adjuster enough so that I fix this problem, but doing this creates the reverse problem: I can shift smoothly up and down between 12T and 36T, but can't get the chain to shift all the way down to the highest gear (11T).

As far as I can tell from visual inspection, my derailleur hanger and derailleur arm appear straight, so I'm at a loss. Based on what I've experienced in all of this, it feels like I might have a problem with my shifter when trying to get it to actuate to the highest-tension setting, but I'm not sure how to diagnose this.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ben
    Loosen the cable from the derailleur so that it hangs free. Holding tension on the cable see if you get 9 clicks up and down on the shifter. If not, you can crack it open and look at all the teeth on gear in the shifter body. Make sure all the teeth are in good condition and that the gear didn't get accidentally moved when you swapped cables. When you retention the cable make sure you do it when the shifter is is the 'hardest gear configuration.' Which means just click the upshift lever until you run out of clicks.

On second thought, you may want to try retentioning the derailleur before you crack open the shifter.

since 4/10/2009
    No need to crack open the shifter. This is a classic "indexing is off" problem. All that's needed is to reset the cable, ensuring the shifter is in the "hardest" gear when you start. You'll probably have to manually pull the cable when operating the shifter to get the last little bit out.

mtbr member

SRAM XX Shifter/Derailleur Not Shifting to Lowest Gear (largest cassette cog)

Sounds like you have the low limit screw adjustment wrong. Back it off and see if you can get the lowest gear to click and lock in. Then go through the fine tuning of the cable tension. The last thing to do is set the high/ low limits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by manitou2200; 10-14-2016 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    Make sure all the teeth are in good condition and that the gear didn't get accidentally moved when you swapped cables.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, it's really tough to see whether the teeth in this shifter are in good condition. You can't see obvious teeth in the XX shifter like you can in some others. Also - help me out with the second part of this quote where you mention the gear possibly getting accidentally moved when I swapped cables. What would I look for in order to see evidence of that having happened?

mtbr member
    Thanks. Unfortunately, it's really tough to see whether the teeth in this shifter are in good condition. You can't see obvious teeth in the XX shifter like you can in some others. Also - help me out with the second part of this quote where you mention the gear possibly getting accidentally moved when I swapped cables. What would I look for in order to see evidence of that having happened?
    If you didn't take it apart its very unlikely it happened. I've only had experience with the XO shifter which you have to take apart to replace the cable. I would just completely reset the cable tension and everything and see if that fixes it

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Gotcha. Thanks. I only took off the top cover of the shifter, but on the XX shifters, that doesn't allow anything to come apart, just provides access to the real stuff. From there, the only thing I did was remove the cable, but that, again, doesn't require any disassembly.

So, I've gone back and tested everything. Released the cable. Reset and tested the high and low limits. Retensioned the cable. Reindexed the gears. Properly adjusted the B tension. Still can't get it to cycle through all the gears. With or without tension on the cable, the shifter now seems to only have 8 possible changes (9 gears). It has been behaving badly for a while, so this doesn't surprise me. I've just adjusted the tension at the barrel adjuster so that I can successfully cycle between 12T and 36T. Since it's rare that I use 11T, this'll do for now until I decide to replace my shifter or send it off for service.

mtbr member
    Gotcha. Thanks. I only took off the top cover of the shifter, but on the XX shifters, that doesn't allow anything to come apart, just provides access to the real stuff. From there, the only thing I did was remove the cable, but that, again, doesn't require any disassembly.

So, I've gone back and tested everything. Released the cable. Reset and tested the high and low limits. Retensioned the cable. Reindexed the gears. Properly adjusted the B tension. Still can't get it to cycle through all the gears. With or without tension on the cable, the shifter now seems to only have 8 possible changes (9 gears). It has been behaving badly for a while, so this doesn't surprise me. I've just adjusted the tension at the barrel adjuster so that I can successfully cycle between 12T and 36T. Since it's rare that I use 11T, this'll do for now until I decide to replace my shifter or send it off for service.
    Yeah, no problem. It still might be worth popping the top off the shifter just to see if something accidentally slipped in there that shouldn't have. But the fact that you're only getting 8 clicks tells me that your derailleur is fine and you've hit it right on the nose that there is something wrong with the shifter

mtbr member
    I highly doubt it's the shifter. How did you determine the chain length that you are currently running. Do you have enough tension on the chain down on the 11 and 12 tooth cogs? Remove the chain and see if the shifter and derailleur index through the cogs without a chain, visually sighting the indexing from behind the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk