mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SRAM XX Q factor and front shift?'s

Couple of of quick ?'s regarding the new XX cranks. If I am installing on a hardtail 29er (Felt Nine Team) what Q Factor crank would I need the 156mm or the 166mm? Any way to quick check? FYI have the '10 Noir crank and it seems like there is pretty good clearance.

Question #2 - do I have to use the XX front der and shifter? Bike currently has the X9 Front der and XO triggers - can't I just set the limit screws up to block out the 3rd shift? Rather not spend even more money if I dont really need to - really just want the XX 2x crankset...

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Just convert your Noir cranks to a 2 ring setup and save some $$$. here is a great example of that (click me)
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    Just convert your Noir cranks to a 2 ring setup and save some $$$. here is a great example of that (click me)
    A good, common sense suggestion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the suggestion but I have the Noir sold for what the XX will run and I would rather stick w/ ramped/pinned rings of the XX..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Most hardtails will be able to deal with the 156. Sram has some documentation on its website about how to tell whether your frame will deal with the narrower versions. I got to it from the XX cranks page.

A proper/dedicated 2x9 crankset offers less extreme chainline throughout the range......I think you have the right idea.

I've been running 2x9 for a while (with gripshift). Its easy - adjust limit screws and you're ok. With triggers, I'd set it up for gears 1 & 2, that way you can't get to 3, and can't accidentally shift too far down.

One of the benefits of 2x9, however, is the opportunity to drop some weight in the FD. You can get away with a road FD, especially if the cable is bottom pull. The XX is also fairly light.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"