mtbr member
    Oct 2009

SRAM XX crank stuck in press fit PF30

I have a SRAM XX crank which uses a pressfit PF30 bottom bracket. Its all installed on a Spark RC frame.

The problem is that i cant seem to remove the non-drive side crank arm (which has the spindle attached) from the bottom bracket. I remove the drive-side crank arm no worries, and i then imagine the non-drive side with the spindle then easily slides out, but it doesnt.

I have tried:

1. lightly tapping it with a mallet;
    2. holding the frame with my hands and using my shoe applying massive force onto the end of the spindle to push it away from me and out of the bottom bracket.

None of these have looked like working.

One thing to note is that the large plastic preload adjusting nut on the non-drive side appears to be threaded as i can rotate it in any direction and it doesnt appear to do anything.

The crank does not run smoothly either. With just one crank arm installed and lifted to the 1o'clock position and released, it slowly moves down to the 5o'clock position; not even making it all the way to 6o'clock.

I realise i need a new bottom bracket, but i cant even get the crank out! Any ideas?

Will take photos if needed.

Cheers
    Tate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the preload ring shouldn't be loose unless you undid the pinch bolt holding its adjustment. sounds like no grease was used during installation and the spindle/bearing have some corrosion on them. tap the spindle harder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    sounds like no grease was used during installation and the spindle/bearing have some corrosion on them. tap the spindle harder.
    thats what i was thinking. is there a carbon friendly fluid i could spray to break down this corrosion bond a bit first?