mtbr member

SRAM XX Crank + Custom Chainring = What Bolts?

SRAM XX Crank + Custom Chainring = ? Bolts

I am trying to cut the weight of my friend's XX crank by replacing the very heavy rings with some custom ones. This should cut almost 100g off.

BUT - the XX big ring is threaded so wondering if we can use standard hollow chainring nut/bolts.

BUT you can't.
    The XX arm holes are about 1mm wider in diameter and the head of the bolt needs to be about 2.5 mm wider.

I guess the custom chain ring could have a standard hole and a washer could be used but where to source one at the exact size?

Also, there would still be some wiggle in the XX arm hole interface with the slightly thinner chainring nut/bolt.

Does anyone know the size washer is needed?
    will put calipers on it later but maybe someone already has done this?

Or should we just sell this crankset and get a Lightning 2x10 unit?

Thanks for any help-
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    If you've the bucks and looking to drop more grams then sell the XX and put it toward the Lightning, where you have options of ring interface spiders. Then look at Extralite for rings. Ain't cheap

rrl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy8
    If you've the bucks and looking to drop more grams then sell the XX and put it toward the Lightning, where you have options of ring interface spiders. Then look at Extralite for rings. Ain't cheap

carbon ti makes some beautiful and light chainrings..but then again, they`re expen$$ive!!!