mtbr member
    Nov 2011

SRAM XX 1099 Cassette durability

Currently running SRAM 1080 and have been quite surprised at how many miles I've ridden/raced on it and still has life left.

Thinking on pulling the trigger on the 1099...any Durability issues with the XX?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think XX cassette durability depends on where you ride. My rides include lots of 1-2000 ft climbs. With regular chain changes and a really clean drivetrain, my XX cassette lasted 1 year. At 150 lbs I'm pretty easy on gear, too. Only the aluminum 36t was thrashed. The steel body still looks great but SRAM decided to stop making replacements. I decided that it was too pricey for the durability. Switched to an XT cassette. 100 grams heavier but quieter and shifts better than the XX ever did.

mtbr member
    I'm about 2 years deep on my XX cassette and it still looks really good. I don't spend a lot of time in the 36t though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have 2000 miles on mine. Getting ready for a change here soon. I'm 175.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    do you guys have any problems with broken teeth on your 1080 and XX cassettes? I was set to replace my 1050 cassette by a 1080 or an XX but came across with this thread.... XG-1080 durability?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    As stated up top no issues with mine.
    probably have 2500 miles on mine...I'm chaining chains every 3-4 months(500-700 miles)
    I'm 145lbs and a climber so I dont use 36 tooth much at all.
    I seem to be getting better wear from 10 speed than 9 speed cassettes.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ok, I hope it was a bad batch....
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucyjack View Post
    As stated up top no issues with mine.
    probably have 2500 miles on mine...I'm chaining chains every 3-4 months(500-700 miles)
    I'm 145lbs and a climber so I dont use 36 tooth much at all.
    I seem to be getting better wear from 10 speed than 9 speed cassettes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    do you guys have any problems with broken teeth on your 1080 and XX cassettes?]
    Sworks stumpy came w/ xx, used uneventfully one year and it was acceptably worn out given the use, replaced w/ xg 1080 @ $250, rode for a few months and i noticed a broken tooth on the second cog and chocked it up to my bad shifting habits, spent $250 again to replace and literally the first ride it chipped a tooth, thanks avid you suck. So moral is don't buy avid junk, period. Switched to xt on both bikes, no issues so far

LDH
    mtbr member
    sram missed the boat on the aluminum cog when they profiled the teeth like the steel cogs, they removed way too much material leaving them thin and weak. i would have traded off a little shifting precision to have the teeth a little more robust. That said replacement cogs are still available from uk and canadian shops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've looked all over for a replacement cog for the 36 and have yet to come across one. SRAM says they are too difficult to replace (which is BULL****, I've taken them apart enough times to know, without ever causing problems). They've also said that the cassette wears evenly and that if your 36 alloy cog is worn then your whole cassette should be replaced, (this is also BULL****). Results will vary based on the rider and time spent in the granny (this is why all comments on this forum should be taken with a gran of salt). I think SRAM should honor their original claim and make the large cogs available separately.

The 1099 and 1080 cassettes are very different. The 1080 or XO cassette were the ones that were having issues with broken teeth.

I've was a SRAM fan for years. I've now moved back to the Shimano camp. I personally feel that while the SRAM stuff looks good, works well and is very light, the Shimano stuff just lasts longer and breaks less often. They both shift extremely well when setup properly. I'm now running all Shimano drivetrains with exception to an XX cassette on my Tallboy. I'm torn between going with an XTR cassette that will go the distance or replacing it with another XX cassette that possesses more bling, but wears faster and costs more.