mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Sram xo long cage or med cage?

I am looking at the carbon 06 XO blackbox rear der and the carbon cage only comes in med or small. Could I run a med cage on my bike? By the way I have a 11-34 cassette 44 32 22 front chainrings.

banned
    You COULD run short cage but if you go into a wrong combo, you could mes things up pretty baldy. personally, I would get the short cage and just make sure I know what gear I'm in. lowest in big rig is 5. Highest in granny is 5. Middle should take them all. Good luck to ye. Oh, and sorry for the bad typing. Long day, tired, and about to fall asleep here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    How would the mid cage work on the 11-34 cassette. I dont want to be wondering what gear combo Im in whem riding, I want a bombproof, or idiot proof set up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you want an idiot proof set up then get the long cage w/out the carbon cage. I have an 11-34 with the two low chainrings on my big hit and have a medium cage. The micro cage would be if you were only running one chainring and more of a road gears in the rear. I personally would just go with the standard long cage, it's not going to save that much weight. If you need the carbon cage you could go with the medium cage and probably get away with it as long as you don't cross-chain it.