mtbr member
    Oct 2011

sram X9 type 2 rear derailleur with 9 spd cassette, will this work

I'd like to try a type 2 rear derailleur to help with chain slap, but i don't want to go complete 10 spd, other than swapping the pulleys for 9 spd ones, any suggestions or thoughts if this will work.

mtbr member
    9 and 10 speed SRAM components use different cable pull ratios.

To my knowledge, this won't work. If you want a clutch-type rear derailleur, you're limited to 10 speed.

mtbr member
    Do you have a SRAM 9spd shifter?

Want a clutch rear derailleur?

Use a Shimano 10spd rear derailleur with a clutch. It'll index properly across 9 gears with a 9spd cassette and 9spd SRAM shifter. Might need a 10spd chain if the 9spd chain is too wide for the derailleur cage but that wont be a problem on a 9spd cassette.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Do you have a SRAM 9spd shifter?

Want a clutch rear derailleur?

Use a Shimano 10spd rear derailleur with a clutch. It'll index properly across 9 gears with a 9spd cassette and 9spd SRAM shifter. Might need a 10spd chain if the 9spd chain is too wide for the derailleur cage but that wont be a problem on a 9spd cassette.
    Thanks for the input, I do have X9 shifters(9 spd), I think I saw some posts indicating this set up will work but I thought you needed to add spacers, etc to the shimano shadow for proper function, I was hoping the X9 rear would be a more direct replacement.

AKA Mr.Habanero
    I would personally not get a x9 type2 short cage. I have one with an xo shifter and it shifts alright (kinda clunky imo) up until l get to the lowest two cogs. I cant understand why it wont shift to the last 2 cogs, Its like they system runs out of steam. It just wont pull anymore. I never had this problem with the standard x9 long cage. Im sure im doing something wrong or there are two different versions and l have the wrong one. Its kind of annoying. I bet shimanos zee would be better anyway AND i know there are two versions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by panzer103 View Post
    I would personally not get a x9 type2 short cage. I have one with an xo shifter and it shifts alright (kinda clunky imo) up until l get to the lowest two cogs. I cant understand why it wont shift to the last 2 cogs, Its like they system runs out of steam. It just wont pull anymore. I never had this problem with the standard x9 long cage. Im sure im doing something wrong or there are two different versions and l have the wrong one. Its kind of annoying. I bet shimanos zee would be better anyway AND i know there are two versions.
    Are you talking the two smallest cogs or the two largest cogs? Which ring are you in up front? I have heard that the SRAM short cage is designed strictly for 1x10 applications and that 2x10 and 3x10 need the mid and long cage derailleurs. I'd check your chain length, might need an extra link or two if you're having issues getting onto the larger cogs. If you're having issues with the smaller cogs, put a small 10mm washer behind the derailleur mounting bolt, SRAM specs their rear derailleurs funny, assuming really wide dropouts so if you're on a steel frame or anything with skinnier dropouts you might need to shim the derailleur out to allow the spring to pull the derailleur far enough out to shift into the smallest cogs.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lolaralph View Post
    I'd like to try a type 2 rear derailleur to help with chain slap, but i don't want to go complete 10 spd, other than swapping the pulleys for 9 spd ones, any suggestions or thoughts if this will work.
    I was in the same predicament- SRAM X9 and X0 shifters with lots of 9-speed components that I'm perfectly happy with. I opted for an XTR Shadow Plus 986 10-speed rear derailleur (XT Shadow Plus works fine too) and a 6mm spacer. Works flawlessly with SRAM 9-speed shifters and no more chain slap.

There is a thread about it here Who is using a Shadow Plus 10-spd derailleur with a SRAM 9-spd shifter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I was in the same predicament- SRAM X9 and X0 shifters with lots of 9-speed components that I'm perfectly happy with. I opted for an XTR Shadow Plus 986 10-speed rear derailleur (XT Shadow Plus works fine too) and a 6mm spacer. Works flawlessly with SRAM 9-speed shifters and no more chain slap.

There is a thread about it here Who is using a Shadow Plus 10-spd derailleur with a SRAM 9-spd shifter?
    thanks for the input, looks like i'll have a Shimano rear on an otherwise SRAM bike, but no more chain slap will make it worthwhile, good to know others are using this set up with success

on my 3rd wind...
    This sounds good but as loraralph indicates does Shimano 10spd rear derailleur with a clutch (with 9 spd cassette and sram 9spd shifter) needs 6mm shim to work properly?
    sth