mtbr member
    Feb 2011

SRAM X9 or Shimano XT

Hi there!
    =======

I'm riding a Rumblefish, full X7 and like it a lot.
    I'm planning to sell the RF for a more agressive 29er, and upgrade the drivetrain to a full X9 or full XT.

As I mentioned, I like the X7 so I thought about upgrading to X9, but also heard and read good reviews about the XT.

Which drivetrain would you get?
    Which SRAM drivetrain is Shimano XT equivalent? X9 or X0?

Thanks, Mo.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Hi there!
    =======

I'm riding a Rumblefish, full X7 and like it a lot.
    I'm planning to sell the RF for a more agressive 29er, and upgrade the drivetrain to a full X9 or full XT.

As I mentioned, I like the X7 so I thought about upgrading to X9, but also heard and read good reviews about the XT.

Which drivetrain would you get?
    Which SRAM drivetrain is Shimano XT equivalent? X9 or X0?

Thanks, Mo.
    either or.. I prefer the Sram, but more as I like the thumb-thumb over the the thumb-forfinger shifting... I like my finger on the brake at all times

Honestly the only real advantage is upgrading the shifters which give you a smoother more positive feel in the shifting. The only thing X9-X0 rear derailleurs give you is weight savings and it's minor. I actually Downgraded a few times and have run X7 and X5 rear derails and they run just as well. Remember the shifter is what actually controls everything, the derailleur just does what the shifter tells it to do. Also the rear derailleur is like the #1 most destroyed component on the bike (at least here in New England anyway) so spending big $$ and having a stick take it out on the first ride is a major bummer better off spending the cash where it matters more and lasts longer.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

thecentralscrutinizer
    If you like the way the SRAM stuf shifts, you should stay with that. If you've never had any on the Shimano stuff, you may want to test ride a bike and see how you like the shifting and controls.
    I personally like the shimano stuff a little better than my X9/XO set-up, but it really is due to personal preference.

Good luck.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    either or.. I prefer the Sram, but more as I like the thumb-thumb over the the thumb-forfinger shifting... I like my finger on the brake at all times
    You can use only your thumb on Shimano as well. They're multi-release.

I like both systems and they both work great. Shimano XT equivalent would be x9.

The only edge I would give is Shimano's Hollowtech2 cranks over SRAMs GXP style. Only a minor difference, but Shimano's system has a separate preload bolt and pinch bolts to secure the NDS crankarm, where SRAM has one bolt that preloads and secures the NDS crankarm. They both work well, I just prefer the Shimano setup.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    You can use only your thumb on Shimano as well. They're multi-release.

I like both systems and they both work great. Shimano XT equivalent would be x9.

The only edge I would give is Shimano's Hollowtech2 cranks over SRAMs GXP style. Only a minor difference, but Shimano's system has a separate preload bolt and pinch bolts to secure the NDS crankarm, where SRAM has one bolt that preloads and secures the NDS crankarm. They both work well, I just prefer the Shimano setup.
    ahhh another person who doesn't understand the GXP (not picking on you.. most people don't get the diff) The GXP system is a good bit better design as you have NO preload and no "pinching" of the bearing's races onto the balls at all (no pun intended)

The GXP system let's the bearings float. the bolt only clamps down onto the non-drive side bearing's inner race.. there is a lip in the spindle that butt's up against the same inner race on the inside.. leaving the drive side bearing floating on the spindle. Drive side bearing gets one torque/force less to have to deal with which is now placed solely on the non drive side bearing.

whole write up on it that explains it more...

Trail Tire TV: Sram's GXP Bottom Bracket, how it differs from others

I do like the Shimy's cranks in general .. think they are prettier!! Name:  girlSmiley.png
Views: 942
Size:  7.0 KB but Mechanically the Sram's have the edge (and the are all better than the Race Face ones... those are about the worse BB system out there!)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Meeeeeeeep
    I have a similar question to the OP. I currently have an all shimano setup, mostly because Jenson has really really good prices on it compared to SRAM. I have a 1x10 setup with a Zee rear derailluer and a SLX shifter. The setup works like a dream but I recently broke the shifter when I had my front wash out which spun my bars around enough to crush the plastic shifter housing on the top tube =_=

So now I need a new rear shifter and I am not sure if I should pick up another SLX shifter or get something more durable. I am debating between splurging on a XT shifter, getting another SLX shifter, or selling my rear derailluer and trying an X9 or X0 setup. The only way I'd go to SRAM is if I can still have a clutch der. no way I am going back now lol.

MTBR Member
    ahhh another person who doesn't understand the GXP (not picking on you.. most people don't get the diff) The GXP system is a good bit better design as you have NO preload and no "pinching" of the bearing's races onto the balls at all (no pun intended)

The GXP system let's the bearings float. the bolt only clamps down onto the non-drive side bearing's inner race.. there is a lip in the spindle that butt's up against the same inner race on the inside.. leaving the drive side bearing floating on the spindle. Drive side bearing gets one torque/force less to have to deal with which is now placed solely on the non drive side bearing.

whole write up on it that explains it more...

Trail Tire TV: Sram's GXP Bottom Bracket, how it differs from others

I do like the Shimy's cranks in general .. think they are prettier!! Name:  girlSmiley.png
Views: 942
Size:  7.0 KB but Mechanically the Sram's have the edge (and the are all better than the Race Face ones... those are about the worse BB system out there!)
    Interesting read...thanks for the info. I guess I was speaking more from an installation standpoint.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooms101 View Post
    I have a similar question to the OP. I currently have an all shimano setup, mostly because Jenson has really really good prices on it compared to SRAM. I have a 1x10 setup with a Zee rear derailluer and a SLX shifter. The setup works like a dream but I recently broke the shifter when I had my front wash out which spun my bars around enough to crush the plastic shifter housing on the top tube =_=

So now I need a new rear shifter and I am not sure if I should pick up another SLX shifter or get something more durable. I am debating between splurging on a XT shifter, getting another SLX shifter, or selling my rear derailluer and trying an X9 or X0 setup. The only way I'd go to SRAM is if I can still have a clutch der. no way I am going back now lol.
    Actually I find Sram much cheaper in comparable versions/ranges

but, I haven't played with these yet as I really don't get much chain slap with my Sram setup on my bike, and it has the dropped Chainstay so that adds clearance. But if needed/wanted I've read about a lot of issues with the Sram clutch system.. the Shimano setup seems to be more reliably at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Interesting read...thanks for the info. I guess I was speaking more from an installation standpoint.
    ya, people always think the Shimmy is better (and really, it's decent.. I like the SLX cranks a lot, XT and XTR are sweet and all, but a bit overly pricy ) They don't get that the bearings on the Sram's actually get less stress and run smoother..

mtbr member
    Going back to the original post-- A full XT drivetrain on a new complete bike always means you get XT brakes, which are excellent in my opinion and have near universal acclaim.

A new complete bike with X9 can have a variety of Avid brakes. The ones I've ridden have been adequate but not as good as XT, and I have seen many threads where some people (not me) absolutely hate their Elixirs.

FWIW, I built my own bike and use X9 cranks and derailleurs, X0 twist shifters, and Magura MT4 brakes.

mtbr member
    Have run x5, x7, and currently x9 groups. Really like the x7 shifters and x9 derailleurs. As the type 2's are really nice for the x9. As previously mentioned, XT brakes rule. They go on every bike I get.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Everyone is talking about X9 drivetrain+Elixir brakes or XT drivetrain+brakes.

Can I have X9 drivetrain and XT brakes? Is it an impossible combo? Wrong setup? Should I expect any problems with this combo?

Thanks, Mo.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've noticed now a days the relative comparisons of the two brands have shifted.

Here's the breakdown as I see it now:
    XTR = XX
    XT = X0
    SLX = X9
    Deore = X7

The SLX essentially the same as the XT except for some very minor changes to weight and some other cosmetic differences. Functionally XTR, XT, and SLX are all virtually the same.

As a rider of both SRAM and Shimano I can't say one is better than the other, but aesthetically I think Shimano comes out slightly ahead. As for feel, SRAM has more positive feedback when shifted whereas Shimano feels a little smoother. If given the choice between the two the only factor in my decision would be the price and the way they looked on my bike. The very trivial difference in weight wouldn't sway my decision at all. They are both great systems.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Everyone is talking about X9 drivetrain+Elixir brakes or XT drivetrain+brakes.

Can I have X9 drivetrain and XT brakes? Is it an impossible combo? Wrong setup? Should I expect any problems with this combo?

Thanks, Mo.
    Why not, I'm running XT brakes with X0 Drivetrain.. Brakes have nothing to do with shifting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Repeat X9 user here. I like it a lot, seems to be cheaper than XT, but I really like it because of the shifters and the more pronounced index click shifting.

As for the brakes, my avid elixir 7 are 6 years old and running strong.
    My new bike came with x9 and formula brakes, also good brakes, loud, but good.
    2x10, FTW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Why not, I'm running XT brakes with X0 Drivetrain.. Brakes have nothing to do with shifting.
    One small caveat: there are definitely many integrated brake/shift levers in the Shimano lineup, not just their cheap stuff. I don't know if SRAM has this as well-- I haven't seen it and I would think not.

So, if you have X9 and you're going to add XT brakes, it shouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The newer XT rear mech has sealed ball bearings in both pulleys. With SRAM you need X0 to get that feature. There also seems to be a lot more problems reported with clutch systems on SRAM derailleurs. The Shimano clutch has the extra advantage of being adjustable.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    The newer XT rear mech has sealed ball bearings in both pulleys. With SRAM you need X0 to get that feature. There also seems to be a lot more problems reported with clutch systems on SRAM derailleurs. The Shimano clutch has the extra advantage of being adjustable.
    not true,.. both X9 (since 2010) and X7 (since 2012 I believe) are bearing jockey wheels...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    I wanted twist shifters and I didn't see enough value in moving up to a X0 rear derailleur to pay the extra $100. My X9 has been fine, although I've certainly seen the posts of people having problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    not true,.. both X9 (since 2010) and X7 (since 2012 I believe) are bearing jockey wheels...
    Well then they should update their product page which still says sealed bearing upper pulley.
    SRAM X9 10-Speed Rear Derailleur | SRAM