I'm Slow

Sram X9 shifters and XX rear compatibly

I'm looking to build a new bike and was going for a 2011 2x10 setup with X9 shifters, x9 front derailleur and a x0 rear derailleur. But then I got a looking and the 2010 XX rear derailleur is only $30 bucks more. Is there any reason I shouldn't go for this? any little details that I am missing?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    At that point it's all up to you. XO vs XX 10sp you won't notice any difference in performance. Either one would work great and last a long time. Just which ever one tickles your vancy the most.

I'm Slow
    Thanks for helping me spend more money

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Your welcome, If you ask my wife, that's what I do best. lol

mtbr member
    i'd upgrade the shifters to x0 before I upgraded the rd to xx

74 & 29 pilot
    I agree with the above. I would worry about having equally good shifters and RD. X0 shifters and RD. x.9 for FD or even x.7 would be fine. I'm going to X0 shifters and RD on my 3x10 drive train and leaving the x.7 on as the FD. It would have been too expensive to go 9 speed just to get the X0s and finally found some X0 3x10 shifters; 2x10 are everywhere, but 3x10 has been hard to find.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    so there are technically no issues with an XX / X0 / X9 shifter running any of the XX / X0 / X9 rear derailleurs in any combo (eg XX shifter running X9 rear dee)?

I'm Slow
    Yeah to me X0 and X9 aren't that different to me, correct me if I'm wrong.

X0 shifters adds adjustable levers with extra hardware but makes up for the extra hardware with carbon fiber. X9 and X0 shifters weigh the same.

X9 had all the same tech (D.i.R.T., EA, etc) but I don't get adjustable levers and save $100. If there was a weight saving or something more I could see the extra $$ but I just don't see it.

To Nathanbal: x9, x0, or, XX should work fine in any combination

74 & 29 pilot
    No that is not the only difference.

"What's the difference between these and X0 shifters?" The difference is that X0 shifters have bearings in the lever pivots where these X9 units use bushings, and X0 shifters also allow custom lever positioning..."

The rest of the lower SRAM x series use the same bushings as the x.9. I had 2011 x.7s as OEM on my newest ride and they are absolute $h!t. I've never used the x.9 shifters, but wouldn't want to waste more money and not be satisfied. A friend of mine has 2010 x.7s on his GF and they were better than my 2011s, but he is upgrading to x.0s also, because the difference is night and day. It does seem as though the x.7 got cheaper, not in price, in 2011.

The RDs are also different in the same way. x.0 and XX use sealed bearings in the pulley wheels; The rest use a bushing type.

"X.0 pulleys use stainless steel balls
    and races for exceptional durability
    and corrosion resistance. When
    riding in wet, muddy, sandy or dusty
    conditions, periodic maintenance
    will insure a very long service life."

The money difference is not a scam. Depends on your level of riding to determine how much your willing to spend. There is a lot of information on their site and in the "2010 Technical manual."

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/