Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

New question here. SRAM x9 Lever Clash

Peeps, has anyone ever experienced the front der levers "clashing" and the "throw"/silver lever not returning ? It's now snagging on the shorter/black lever.

I had a couple of stacks at the wkend (ouch) and after replacing the der cables the rest of my drivetrain is now running sweetly. However, I now have to flick my front der lever back to it's starting position.

The levers look plastic so I figure they can't have bent. Both front/rear shifters seem to look similar and although the rear der levers touch they don't snag.

Any ideas ?
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

Alright, let's ride!
    For some reason I have the same problem on one of my bikes. I'm not sure what causes it. It hasn't really bothered me enough to try to fix it though.

*edit* Problem is only with my lower lever.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

You too eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    *edit* Problem is only with my lower lever.
    Well said. I seemed to have rambled around the obvious

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

Auto-x addict
    My rear shifter does this, and has since it was new. I've had to warranty that shifter twice with the broken take-up pawl problem. The fist two didn't have this problem, when I noticed it on this one, I figured that I wouldn't have to deal with it for long before I had to warranty this one too. Wouldn't you know they've fixed that problem now!

I dremeled down both levers some at the point of contact, and that has mostly fixed it. It's so minor now that I'm willing to live with it since this shifter keeps working.

I was really worried that I had made a mistake after all the warranty issues, but it seems they've fixed the weak link.

Recovering
    I've replaced a couple x.9 shifters so far. Seems that silver lever (that's aluminum, not plastic) likes to bend up ever so slightly when you crash. If you look at it, you may notice that it's slightly bent up, rather than straight, causing it to now hit the upshift paddle. Didn't take much for me to do the damage- light stack on my XC bike- but had to replace the front shifter for that problem and the rear shifter, as it somehow got stuck into only shifting on gear at a time. I broke my front shifter again on another stack later, shearing off the upshift paddle. So I'm on my third front and second rear shifter. But the shifting action is so smooth, I just don't want to go back to Shimano. May invest in the X.0 shifters, just to have replaceable/rebuildable parts.

And interesting, the SRAM Rocket shifters on my Freeride bike (identical to x.9, but 1:2 actuation) have been stacked A LOT, and much harder, yet haven't broken once...

JB

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogner
    Seems that silver lever (that's aluminum, not plastic) likes to bend up ever so slightly when you crash. If you look at it, you may notice that it's slightly bent up, rather than straight, causing it to now hit the upshift paddle.
    Interesting, and I assumed that it was plastic.

I'll have a butchers tonight and see if it might be bent back a little although I expect that will weaken it.

Perhaps the dremel will be getting warm tonight...

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by Farqui
    Interesting, and I assumed that it was plastic.

I'll have a butchers tonight and see if it might be bent back a little although I expect that will weaken it.
    The rear upshift paddle is plastic, the downshift is alu. My LBS tried to bend the paddle back, but managed to shear it off in the process, compelling me to purchase another shifter. (unfortunately). Perhaps you'll have better luck.

Blindside/v5 & Nomad/C

Got mine replaced once (no crash)

Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    My rear shifter does this, and has since it was new. I've had to warranty that shifter twice with the broken take-up pawl problem.
    I had to warranty-replace my right-side rear-drlr shifter unit once, too. No, I didn't even crash on it, and (I think) much of its initial ratchet gave out. My left-side front-drlr shifter unit is still original & going fine. I suspect that my replaced right-side/rear-drlr unit may be just slightly starting to go again, though it's not bad.

slack in X.9 shifter lever engagement?

So, did somebody say '05~'06 fixed this prob?

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

Auto-x addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    I had to warranty-replace my right-side rear-drlr shifter unit once, too. No, I didn't even crash on it, and (I think) much of its initial ratchet gave out. My left-side front-drlr shifter unit is still original & going fine. I suspect that my replaced right-side/rear-drlr unit may be just slightly starting to go again, though it's not bad.

slack in X.9 shifter lever engagement?

So, did somebody say '05~'06 fixed this prob?

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    I had to warranty each of mine twice. They seem to have fixed the problem last year (see this thread on nsmb) and my latest pair have been working great.

Blindside/v5 & Nomad/C

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    (see this thread on nsmb)
    Wow, thanks for the link. What a great post (by "Ashek") that was!! I now know what to check, even though I don't think I'd get the tooth piece custom-machined for me.

"The problem described with the shifter was known and redesigned mid-last year."

Interestingly I bought mine late-'04, so these should've been of the post-fix...? Hummm...

Do you know how I can tell if an unit is of the new-&-improved vs pre-improvement?

Thanks again,
    - PiroChu

Auto-x addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Do you know how I can tell if an unit is of the new-&-improved vs pre-improvement?

Thanks again,
    - PiroChu
    That's easy,
    Pre improvement = it's broken, or will be soon.
    Post improvement = it works!

Seriously, if it breaks again, it should be the last time that you will have to warranty it.