Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    341

    sram X7 vs.X9 vs.XO

    Besides weight ..performance differences between them?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    71
    I think they probably function pretty similar. I ride XO right now coming off from XTR. I was also riding Deore and switched to XTR and even between those two the shifting was similar. XTR is more crisp I think but even Deore changes gears pretty darn well. I assume between the sram stuff it all works well but the higher end stuff will be a bit better. I would ride any of those you mentioned just fine probably. Get XO for sure!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13
    I recently built my Niner MCR with new Sram X7 2 x 10 shifters and derailleurs. I had previously run X9 3 X 9 and there is a world of difference between the X7 and X9. X9 is simply better quality. The X7 rear derailleur (long cage) behaves like it doesn't have enough internal spring tension. Shifting lags especially when upshifting. It is properly adjusted and shifts perfectly on the work-stand but turns to crap out on the trail. I have run SRAM for the past several years and have been very pleased. However, I honestly cannot recommend the new (2011) X7 rear derailleur. I will be upgrading to X9 or X0 as soon as funds allow.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38
    I went with a full X7 2x10 setup. I also find the rear der to be less precise than the X9 der I had on my 3x9. There is a lot of play along the axis of the bolt that attaches the der to the hanger. I also might swap it out for an X9 which is what I planned to use in the first place but I got a hell of a deal on an X7 complete set.

  5. #5
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,033
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton47 View Post
    Besides weight ..performance differences between them?
    I don't know about the 10 speed stuff, but my experience with the 9 speed is that there is very little functional difference. The trigger shifters on the more expensive ones feel a little better quality (less plastic, more metal, better bushings?) but worked pretty much the same.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  6. #6
    Mountain Man Dan
    Reputation: ProjectDan35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,181
    Well the 2012 x9 (9spd) shifters now have ball bearing thumb shifters like XO and XX.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

  7. #7
    COTA member
    Reputation: Dry Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    848
    I find the X7 rear der sluggish unless I frequently clean and lube the cable housing. X0 is on my next bike.

  8. #8
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,033
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton47 View Post
    Besides weight ..performance differences between them?
    One thing to keep in mind when talking about different RDs is that often times performance differences (or issues) are attributed to the RD that are in fact due to the shifters, cable/housing, or hangar.

    Not saying that this is necessarily the case in this thread, but it is quite common.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deerhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,020
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.a1971 View Post
    I recently built my Niner MCR with new Sram X7 2 x 10 shifters and derailleurs. I had previously run X9 3 X 9 and there is a world of difference between the X7 and X9. X9 is simply better quality. The X7 rear derailleur (long cage) behaves like it doesn't have enough internal spring tension. Shifting lags especially when upshifting. It is properly adjusted and shifts perfectly on the work-stand but turns to crap out on the trail. I have run SRAM for the past several years and have been very pleased. However, I honestly cannot recommend the new (2011) X7 rear derailleur. I will be upgrading to X9 or X0 as soon as funds allow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooge View Post
    I went with a full X7 2x10 setup. I also find the rear der to be less precise than the X9 der I had on my 3x9. There is a lot of play along the axis of the bolt that attaches the der to the hanger. I also might swap it out for an X9 which is what I planned to use in the first place but I got a hell of a deal on an X7 complete set.
    2011 x9 9spd med cage has the loose hanger bolt problem.. as if it was assembled w/ a missing spacer between the hanger stop tab thingy. It's too close to the cassette and also toes way in if you align the hanger to the rim, have to wrench it out or make your own spacer. 2007 x7 long cage does not suffer from this

  10. #10
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,602
    I've gone through a few different combos of X5-7 & 9 and fine the rear derailleur has little to do with how it shifts, the shifters and good cables are more important.
    I've used X9 shifters with X7 derail and it worked just as good as the X9-X9 setup. I also have had X9 derail with X7 shifters and there was a noticeable "softness" or sluggishness to the shifting. (that was with both a 2006 set of X7 and a 2010 set, though I think the older ones were better)

    Unless you're in a wicked groomed area, or race, I wouldn't bother wasting $$ on XO derailleur, get the X9 or even the X7, If you can afford it the XO Shifters (and now the newer X9) have a WAY better and smoother shift action as they use bearings instead of bushings which will give you a firmer, smoother, more accurate feel. the Parts are formed a bit better also. I Hated the newest model of X7 shifters.. just felt crappy. Almost made me want to go back to shimano.

    Get the best cable and housings you can are going to give you more performance for the $$$ that getting ridiculous priced rear Derailleurs. Lots of places are having sales on the X9 combo kits. it's a good buy and will last you as long as you don't suck up a trail snake

    My Motto with rear derailleurs is, "if you can't afford to buy 2, don't buy one, as luck will have it eaten by a stick"
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drmayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    I've gone through a few different combos of X5-7 & 9 and fine the rear derailleur has little to do with how it shifts, the shifters and good cables are more important.
    I've used X9 shifters with X7 derail and it worked just as good as the X9-X9 setup. I also have had X9 derail with X7 shifters and there was a noticeable "softness" or sluggishness to the shifting. (that was with both a 2006 set of X7 and a 2010 set, though I think the older ones were better)

    Unless you're in a wicked groomed area, or race, I wouldn't bother wasting $$ on XO derailleur, get the X9 or even the X7, If you can afford it the XO Shifters (and now the newer X9) have a WAY better and smoother shift action as they use bearings instead of bushings which will give you a firmer, smoother, more accurate feel. the Parts are formed a bit better also. I Hated the newest model of X7 shifters.. just felt crappy. Almost made me want to go back to shimano.

    Get the best cable and housings you can are going to give you more performance for the $$$ that getting ridiculous priced rear Derailleurs. Lots of places are having sales on the X9 combo kits. it's a good buy and will last you as long as you don't suck up a trail snake

    My Motto with rear derailleurs is, "if you can't afford to buy 2, don't buy one, as luck will have it eaten by a stick"
    +1 here - buy good cable and housing (routed properly) and if you want to indulge, spend the extra money on the shifters. I stick with X7 rear derailleurs as i've broken two to date. I have X0 twist shifters with an X7 derailleur.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    27
    My first post!

    I currently have (all 9 speed):

    -Purchased brand new: 2011 X7 F+R Shifters and Long Cage Rear Derailleur
    -Old: Shimano LX Front Derailleur
    -Purchased new: SLX Crank 22/32 + BBG Bashguard
    -Unknown 11-32 cassette (weighed in at 372g though!)

    I just picked up an eBay used X9 RD, but didn't notice the cage was silver vs black until received (my fault because it was pictured) and the date was 2005. Got a new PG-990 and installed it the same time.

    Is this a downgrade? It is snappier, but don't know if it is only because the difference of going from a long cage to medium, or because of the cassette. It shifts good on a workstand/parking lot but haven't trail tested it yet.

    Today I might get new XO X0? trigger shifters.

    Any thoughts?

  13. #13
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by NOCSUCOW View Post
    My first post!

    I currently have (all 9 speed):

    -Purchased brand new: 2011 X7 F+R Shifters and Long Cage Rear Derailleur
    -Old: Shimano LX Front Derailleur
    -Purchased new: SLX Crank 22/32 + BBG Bashguard
    -Unknown 11-32 cassette (weighed in at 372g though!)

    I just picked up an eBay used X9 RD, but didn't notice the cage was silver vs black until received (my fault because it was pictured) and the date was 2005. Got a new PG-990 and installed it the same time.

    Is this a downgrade? It is snappier, but don't know if it is only because the difference of going from a long cage to medium, or because of the cassette. It shifts good on a workstand/parking lot but haven't trail tested it yet.

    Today I might get new XO X0? trigger shifters.

    Any thoughts?
    it's fine, there are some very minor changes in the more current models of the X9 rear but nothing to fret over. Depending on the style of the jockey wheels (there are like 3 or 4 over the last 10 yrs) if they will fit you might be better off pulling the Jockey's off the X7 and slapping them on the X9, this is the #1 wear stop on the rear derails. The teeth will mess better and the bushings will be in better condition. The New X7's aren't bearings yet I don't think so the jockeys should be able to switch out,.? they should both have the upper mounting screw just off center if they are switchable.

    The snappier is probably a bit of everything together. New stuff just works

    If you really want X0 go for it, but X9's are good too. I have found I like the older X9's (pre 2010 I think) over the newer version, more I think just from familiarity.. Never had any long term use on X0's so I wouldn't be able to tell ya if they are really any better but I do know they have bearings instead of bushings in the X0 (and 2012 X9's are supposed to) so they should be more solid feeling...?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    27
    ^

    The upper cog on the 2005 X9 RD has the off center mount. The lower cog is centered. I would only be able to use the bottom one if anything and I'm no expert but I'm sure that doesn't help shifting but only for slack vs the top one.

    The 2011 X7 has centered cogs. I have a set of green aluminum ones from jerseycycles.com but I guess I would only be able to use 1 of the 2.

    Any thoughts on aluminum derailleur cogs vs the plastic ones? I've never seen that discussed.
    -Noise: quieter? louder?
    -Shifting: better? worse?

    I like to make my posts organized because I know people lose interest after typing too much ;-)

  15. #15
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by NOCSUCOW View Post
    ^

    The upper cog on the 2005 X9 RD has the off center mount. The lower cog is centered. I would only be able to use the bottom one if anything and I'm no expert but I'm sure that doesn't help shifting but only for slack vs the top one.

    The 2011 X7 has centered cogs. I have a set of green aluminum ones from jerseycycles.com but I guess I would only be able to use 1 of the 2.

    Any thoughts on aluminum derailleur cogs vs the plastic ones? I've never seen that discussed.
    -Noise: quieter? louder?
    -Shifting: better? worse?

    I like to make my posts organized because I know people lose interest after typing too much ;-)
    Well depending on how much use is on the used derail I'd look at getting new jockeys, probably not needed but it will make it all last longer in the end. you can tell how much a rear derail has been use to some extent by looking at the teeth, if they are still nice and square they are fairly new, if they are pointed shark teeth they are toast.

    Green huh? Want to give them to me to match my green bike?? though I've heard they mostly only work on the Shimano derails as the bolt size is larger on the SRAM and the wheel bobbles around.. never tried so I don't know for sure. From what I have seen it's just about bling and some weight weenie-ness. All the alum one are bearings not bushings so they wont work on many older derails.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    762
    I have one bike setup with a full x9 group and another with a full xo group. Both are 2x10. The xo group is definately more positive. Esp noticeable just cruising around , but when you're hammering on the trails it's less so Both with Same cables and proper routing. So I believe it has to do with the tension in the RD .Xo shifters also feel more quality. I wouldn't hesitate to use an x9 group again . I shopped around and got the crankset , RD, FD and shifters for around $375 . If they did switch the shifters to bearing that would eliminate one difference

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    27
    I just picked up a brand new set of XO trigger shifters on clearance at my local Performance Bike store. Got home and saw a date stamp of 2005 on them. What are the differences between these and future years?

    The main thing if anything I noticed is the barrel adjuster. Anything else?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikingmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    105
    I'm in the same boat, looking to see if upgrading my X7 triggers is worth it. Currently, my 3*10 drivetrain has X7 shifters, X7 direct mount front derail., and X9 long rear (first Sram, stock on my '11 Epic Comp 26) with the custom Sram cranks and Shimano HG81 cassette, so not sure if I will notice the difference if I upgrade to X9 shifters, or if I should save some more and buy X0. Have a bit of money from the holidays to spend, plus am long term saving for a new wheel set.

    Advice?
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

  19. #19
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by NOCSUCOW View Post
    I just picked up a brand new set of XO trigger shifters on clearance at my local Performance Bike store. Got home and saw a date stamp of 2005 on them. What are the differences between these and future years?

    The main thing if anything I noticed is the barrel adjuster. Anything else?
    As long as you got them cheap you should be good, there are minor things upgraded but if I remember correctly they are mostly just weight savings items. Pretty sure they already went bearing by then in the X0 sooo... If they were over $100 I'd probably take them back and get something like a 2009-10 X9 as they are all over the web for under $70 and are pretty much the same thing.
    Sram is good about the trickle down effect of their models so a 3-5 yr old X0 is pretty much what a current X9 is,.. 3-5 yr old X9 is about the same as a current X7.. bla bla bla.. they did to a complete over haul of the body of their whole shifter line last yr.. sooo...?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    59

    xo vs x9

    i have four xc/ trail bikes all with sram x9 or xo shifters and rear derailleurs and have noticed a little better performace (not much) in the xo . Weight difference is only three grams between an xo front shifter and similar x9 rear shifter. If you can get xo for just a few bucks more then go for it, if not,, x9 is just fine.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9
    X0 has lots of tension on the rear dérailleur and is sooo much more slick, fast, and precise than any other shifter used. X0 is lighter if your about that, but x9 seems to do the trick just fine.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,887
    I have an X7 shifter and an XO derailleur...I have no real frame of reference here...last shifters I had were mid-to-late 90s XTR 8-speed. They seem to work flawlessly. I plan on upgrading the shifter to XO b/c the XO has a ball bearing rather than a bushing, supposed to be much more durable and smoother. Agree with above statement that X9 is probably the same; it has ball bearings as well.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Similar Threads

  1. Will a Sram XX crankset work with Sram XO rear der and a 9 speed cassette....
    By sebastian21 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
  2. SRAM MRX Comp shifter 2.1 compatible with which SRAM rear derailleur?
    By djork in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM
  3. Sram Force Front Der Works Great s/Sram Twist Shifters
    By G-Live in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 09:48 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-17-2007, 02:19 PM
  5. Sram x9 rear derailleur + Sram x7 shifters + shimano cassette (Shifting all messed?!?
    By Angus_fairgrieve in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 08:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •