mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Sram x7 shifter & Sram sx4 rear derailer w/ 9 spd chain...problems please help!

1. Is what a have setup for an 8 or a 9 speed?

2. I have had a 9 speed cassette on it and has never been quit right.

3. I have tried reseting the high and low side, also indexing using this guide

still having problems.

is indexing really that fine of an adjustment?

Thanks

pvd
    mtbr member
    is the shifter an 8 or 9 speed shifter? that is what really matters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It shows 8 speeds on the little window thing on the shifter, but I cant get 8 full clicks, (i loosened the cable too) I can only get about 7 & 3/4 clicks.

If the shifter did shift 8 clicks will my Sram sx4 rear derailer work with my shifter? Also will i need an 8 speed chain?

Thanks

neutiquam erro
    According to SRAM website, the SX4 RD is only for 7 or 8 speed. I've never tried a 8-speed-by-design RD in a 9-speed system, but right off the bat, that very well may be your problem.

And as PVD asked, are the x7 shifters 8 or 9 speed? They come in both flavors. If they are 9 speed, then I suspect the SX4 just can't handle being the only 8-speed componenet in the mix of all 9-speed stuff. Get a 9-speed RD and that will help. If the shifters are 8 speed, then you should ideally get an 8 speed cassette and chain. Which brings up another question -- is your chain 8 or 9 speed?

You can bring it into your LBS and they can answer that stuff for you if you are not sure.

But, yeah, that rear derailleur is 8-speed max by design...

Mixing 8 and 9 speed stuff isn't a good idea; varies from not at all workable to sketchy & coarse at best depending on the mix. To get a smooth drivetrain, the shifter, cassette, rear derailleur, and chain should all be either 8 or 9 speed.

Cheers, Chris

neutiquam erro
    Didn't see your last repsonse until I posted (I type like a snail)...

Your RD and shifters should work together just fine (both are 8-speed). I don't know about using them with a 9-speed cassette. Should be possible in theory if you set the limit screws right I guess, but it's not ideal. Still should find out what speed your chain is too. Your LBS should be able to hook you up with an 8-speed cassette & chain and not break the bank.

I would suspect that your 7-3/4 travel problem has to do with that 9-speed cassette and how you are trying to make the 8-speed drive work with it.

I would look to get an 8-speed cassette and chain from the LBS, and have them put it on and tune it up for you. Setting up a new drivetrain from scratch can be frustrating trying to tweak it all just so, sometimes having the experts get the initial set-up for you done helps give you a solid starting point from which you can tweak & maintain as needed after the parts start to break in together.

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    okay thanks, but when i got the 7 3/4 travel on the shifter I had the cable completely out of the RD and held the cable in my hand with just enough tension to make it shift. I couldnt get a full 8

neutiquam erro
    That's odd.

Are they triggers or twisties? Here's a link to the product manuals, but I'm not sure they will help you out or not.

http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/...D=1&subcatID=3

The x7 has a gear display, are you not getting 8 "clicks" as you cycle through the gears? Sometimes the display may not line up perfectly, so don't go by that alone. Sorry if that's a dumb thing to point out, I'm not trying to be demeaning or anything, just trying to eliminate the easy answers... With the cable unattached (no tension), you should be able to get all 8 clicks no problem, so it sounds like the shifter may possibly be gummed up internally. Is it new?

Crazy stuff.

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    triggers, i took it apart and there are 7 teeth. On the 8th shift the i am guessing there is enough lever action to get up on the 8th gear. so what i am going to go do is get a 8 speed chain, I all ready have an 8 speed cassette, its sram I believe.

Should I get a sram chain?

Thanks a lot for the help!

neutiquam erro
    I like SRAM chains, but everyone has their own favorite. I like the power-link feature on SRAM's chains. Shimano has good chains, but their linking pin system isn't as simple & easy as the Power Link. Just a matter of preference. I hear good things about Wipperman chains too.

Cheers, Chris